A4 2.4 V6 engine low oil pressure watning

Ralph Chisholm

Can anyone advise after using Automatic 'kickdown' on 2.4 V6 after letting off Oil pressure warning light came on, I,be put oil in engine running No serious bottom end noise but get 'Chatter' on start up like top end camshaft / hydraulic sports not getting oil, I,m told to drop sumpclean 'Sludge' out pump can anyone advise or is engine kapput

Hello Ralph,

Sorry to hear of your issues. My first point would be - don't add oil to this engine unless the current level is low. Overfilling causes problems. Don't assume the oil pressure warning light indicates a low oil level. Apologies if all of this is obvious, but this light means the oil is not being pumped around the engine under pressure - serious consequences. 

Again, apologies if this is obvious, but on kick-down, the revs increase rapidly over a short burst and it seems this is when your problem occurred.

If it were mine, I would  not be starting this engine until I ascertain whether the oil pressure is indeed low (via. garage test, but do not drive it there!) or if the pressure warning sensor is at fault. 

You really are in a situation where this symptom requires the utmost respect if you are to avoid wrecking the engine.

Good luck in sorting it out - perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth

Tganks for reply I,ll get sump off and see if needs cleaned, maybe damage done I,ll let you know not surer what to do if damage ed engine car is 2004 2.4 V6 lovely clean car everything works but engine issue, maybe good for somebody .

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

I really can see what taking the sump off and cleaning it is going to do ( and of course spending on sump gasket and oil). I would spend my money on getting the oil pressure checked first. If the oil pressure is indeed low, then its highly unlikely cleaning the sump is going to improve things unless this car has never been serviced!

How long have you had it, and do you know anything about its service history? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth

Got this car month ago just MOT ,d no smoke on start up , no noises from engine ran , no oil leaks , seemed ok, I took car to Aberdeen and this happened on way back, I was suspicious it low on oil but as you say , probably damaged engine, don't know how easy to get replacement engine.

Ralph

Blinking heck Ralph - doing a c250 mile? round trip with a suspicion that the oil level was low!! Not that this is going to help you at all, but hopefully a sobering experience to other owners to realise the importance of regularly checking oil and coolant levels.

Good luck in finding a new home for it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth 

ptior to Aberdeen trip all levels were checked that's what I,m saying engine did not smoke as if burning oil , who knows although it's clean tidy car it probably won't shift so it,ll get scrapped no doubt.