Water Drain Problem

dakes55

I have noticed that after rainfall that there is water that is not draining away from the left top bulkhead area on my a8, its in the area where the wiper motor is, near the wing, I have checked to see if there is a drain hole in that area but cannot see one, I would imagine that when this area fills up with water it will spill over and start to flood the air box area, I have looked on other forums regarding this but cannot find anything related to water ingress near the wiper motor area, any help on this one please

water ingress.JPG.png

IMG_1487.JPG

Hi John, 

I believe water traps are common on other Audi models from.this area. Am I right in thinking the battery is in the same area along the bulkhead? If so you may find a drain plug there. Also if water is to fill up then you may find wet carpets in the front footwells. This definitely applies to the c5 a6. I have seen c5 owners make custom covers for the area not covered by the plastic cover (if that makes sense?). Out of aluminum or similar. 

Cheers

Steve

The battery is in the boot on this car, I have checked this area for a drain hole but there isn't one, thats a real bad design fault because when this fills up with water its going to overflow into the bulk head and air box areas, I need to take a look at this and maybe put a drain in for this as I dont want water coming inside the car

17 hours ago, dakes55 said:

The battery is in the boot on this car, I have checked this area for a drain hole but there isn't one, thats a real bad design fault because when this fills up with water its going to overflow into the bulk head and air box areas, I need to take a look at this and maybe put a drain in for this as I dont want water coming inside the car

Definitely. Are you sure there isn't a drain hole near the airbox side? 

Is there a gap the other side too? 

yes im definitely sure there is no drain hole, ive checked everywhere in detail as I expected to find one, there is one in the bulkhead though

Having taken another look at this it seems that it has been designed to fill up with about an inch of water and then spill over into the bulkhead where it is then drained away, the big problem is that there is a grommet that seals a cable in this area if the seal ever fails then the first place the water will go is inside the car and probably into the fusebox, I wonder what the Audi designers where thinking when they made this luxury car