Rear Tyres Shredded

Quattro Kev

20180606_201141.thumb.jpg.40e174bef1293be4f920c93e9f209e4e.jpg20180606_201201.thumb.jpg.a6a75d0121f6037818e332106ff49332.jpg

Anyone know why my Audi shreds and strips my back tyres?

Top image is my rear tyre bottom is front.

I bought 4 part worn Goodyear Vector Eagles with 5mm tread

The guy at garage measured them when we got them and they were 5.4mm this was on the 4th of May 

I have done 1,854 miles and need to replace the rear ones already this has been ongoing since I have had the car 

I have had them tracked balanced numerous times and no difference any ideas as to why this happens?

Edited by Quattro Kev
Paragraph and spelling

Hello Kevin,

Restating the obvious, but as you say, going through 4 to 5 mm of tread in under 2000 miles is not on. 

The unknowns here are:- 

Fitting part worn tyres?  - hugh question here on the 'serviceability' of such tyres - their age etc. etc. The amount of remaining tread may have little to do with it. 

Your driving style? - may not have anything to do with it if driving quietly around the country lanes of W. Wales. Using this 2.8 litre enthusiastically on such roads could, just could, and this in conjunction with using unknown-history part worns might have some influence.

Interesting issue Kevin. Perhaps you can fill in a little more detail.

Kind regards,

Gareth.   

Thanks for reply

It has been eating rear tyres since I had the car it eats new tyres just as quick as part-worns

Tried various makes cheap and expensive usually eats new ones in about 2 - 3 months.

I drive steady most of the time usually 55 - 60 mph the only thing that has changed is the guy who had the car before me lowered it by 40 mm and was running 19 inch alloys but due to him suffering from cancer he did not do many miles and when I bought it off him he put the standard 16inch rims back on.

The guy at garage suggested changing the springs back to factory ones but also said lowering a car as most people do should not cause such adverse wear.

Like I said before I have had it tracked and balanced a few times but not made any difference all the bushes track rod arms and everything is pretty much brand new on the back end.

Could it be the Camber? As a friend suggested as I have not had it checked out since having the car.

I'd put money on it being the camber and I'd be looking at decent 4 wheel alignment (Hunter ideally), it doesn't take much for them to wear like that especially if the car geometry has already been altered with the lowering and different wheels it'd be a no brainer.

I had a 5 series touring that wore the rears on the inside due to the factory setup camber, but it took around 25k before they were noticeable.