Replacement Tyre

ChrisL450

Hi there, I have a quick question that i hope the members here can help with. 

I have a 2017 Audi A6 Allroad with approx 4k miles on the clock. Unfortunately my better half managed to drive it into a kerb yesterday whilst avoiding a neighbourhood cat. 

This has resulted in a damage to the off-side front tyre (and alloy) and it needs to be replaced.   

My question is - do I need to replace both front tyres? The overall wear on the non-replacement side is obviously pretty low with only 4k miles - is there a "safe" allowable difference in tread depth between the two? 

Appreciate any advice, apart from "should have driven over the cat instead" !!  

i`d treat it as if you had a puncher, you`d only replace the one tyre not both unless the other side looks below limit i`m sure the tyre fitter will advice you better 

Hello Chris,

Allfoad = 4 wheel drive?

If so, then you raise a very sensible question, since miss matched tyres/tread depth can influence the efficiency and longer life of the 4 wheel drive system. 

Having said that, I cannot see any problem with simply renewing the damaged tyre since its axle partner has only covered 4K miles. I would however replace with the matching make and pattern.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Thankyou for the advice. I've opted to just swap out one of the front tyres at the moment. I'll measure the remaining tread on the other tyre and see what the difference is. I read somewhere that the tread differnece should be no more than 4/32 inch, so I'll have a go at measuting that.    

Hello Chris,

Sounds sensible. To do it properly, I would insist on the same make tyre and the same tread pattern -as mentioned earlier.

4/32? Strange way to list this figure from the point of view that this is actually 1/8 (why list it at 4/32, or even 2/16 I guess?). Possibly from an American site since it's in imperial not metric. 

Anyway, 4/32 = 1/8 = approx. 3mm. 

I seriously doubt if the other front tyre would have worn by 3mm in 4K miles, so all should be well.

Kind regards,

Gareth.