2006 Audi A3

Paulie

I recently bought an Audi A3 2006 1.6 special edition. I love the car but it’s only a 5 speed and when I’m on the motorway doing 80mmph it’s sat at 4000rpm. I’m a mechanic and want to put a 6 speed gearbox init can i do this without to much hassle? 

Hello Paulie,

As you probably, or might know, what you have bought as a 1.6 Special Edition, is in fact a 1.6 basic with what I understand to be an older generation engine. Having been associated with one of these for some 147k miles, I would agree that they are quite high revving at the legal spied limit. 

Fitting a 6 speed gearbox? Sorry but I don't know, but I am pretty sure that you would find yourself changing down through the gears on motorway climbs, since these engine generally lack torque, so personally I would be thinking twice about this.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s.' .... motorway at 80mph.. sat on 4K rpm' . Surely you mean 70 mph with a slightly reduced rpm!! Just to keep it legal,and reasonable. 

Paul.

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you checked that top gear ratio is actually higher than your existing box? It is natural to assume it is, but I would check before making any change.

The other possible drawback depends on where the speedo is driven or impulsed from. If it is from the output shaft your speedo will still read correctly; but if it from an intermediate shaft you may find it to read wrongly.