Audi 100LS

DDunne

Hi, my grandfather recently passed away and left his pride and joy - a navy Audi 100 LS. As an ex-mechanic, he was able to keep the car in great working order. However, before he passed away, he was unable to fix a faulty clutch.

I don't have a great knowledge of cars but i would love to hear opinions on what to do - sell it, fix and sell it, restore and keep it? Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

The main requirement if I was to sell it would be that it went to a home where it was going to be properly looked after.

Thank you in advance

David

Welcome to the forum and David, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather. 

im hoping someone can help you here.

cheers

Steve

Hello David,

I too am sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. Judging by your questions, I think the car's future is in good hands. 

Your questions:-

Restore it and keep it? Of course, this will have to be a personal choice, and sentiment (over economics) may play a big part in your decision. Space availability and a spannering ability will also come in to it to some extent. I am sure there will be advice available here if you decide to keep it.

Repair and sell? Personally I would not advise spending on it to sell it, since this car will ( generally) only attract enthusiasts, and they will be usually be capable of repairing this.

Selling? Its condition , mileage and history are unknow to us, so values and desirabilities are difficult to assess. To sell it to a good home, it needs to be advertised in the right quarters, and I would suggest trying "Classic Car Weekly' and 'Classic Car Buyer' - both offer a free advertising service.

As you probably know, cars of this age are now MOT exempt, so technically it could be driven away once taxed and insured. Personally, I would cover yourself with some wording advising against this, since you are not sure of its road worthiness. Another selling bonus is that the car will qualify for cheap/er classic car insurance. Again the publications mentioned, will carry adverts which will help you or a buyer.   

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Gareth.      

Hi, thank you both for your messages, most kind and I really appreciate it. I shall do some more work into the details of the car and get everything cleaned up. That seems to be the most sensible way forward. Thanks again. David