Hello from Wales A6 C6 2007

Just recently bought a A6 C6 2.0T Very pleased with purchase ,and felt I needed to join your club.

Another reason for joining was to tell of how I just fixed a spiraling problem that has had my head scratching since Sunday.

1. Sunday went for a drive overtook a few horse boxes then a caravan and the car decided to stop accelerating 😱 but managed to get past. It then felt like it had a throttle problem, the gears were holding and then had to use paddle shift to get back home. It also wouldn't change down gears without help from the manual shifts. Got back and then found that the company I bought it off has disappeared and warranty with it.

2. Test day to see if it's got worse, throttle problem has gone but the gears still not changing down properly, and then ESP fault appears. Manual changes work fine.

3. Go to park car back up and saw that the Brake lights were on....what next.

4. After looking at the rear brake lights a few times I decided to go in and have a drink, but that was not what the car had in mind because it wouldn't give me the key....after some googling inside the car I got it out...and then it wouldn't !Removed! lock. So used the key to lock car and went in.

After much google & youtube searching, I come to the conclusion that the Brake light switch was the problem. And today I changed that switch and the car is back to normal, Few

Hope this helps someone

Hello John,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but very pleased that you have sorted it. When I got to the section of your post and mentioned the brake lights being on, my thoughts were pointed in the direction of a faulty 'brake' light switch. 

Others more up to date on this latest technology will hopefully confirm that the days of the brake light switch being just that, have long gone, and this switch controls or influences many other functions. When we think of the number of  times this makes and breaks as we drive, it's little wonder it can fail. 

Without being patronising John, it's a revelation to read your post and find that the reason for the problem has been recorded. Unfortunately such follow up is rare, and original posters seldom report back, so the experience can be shared to the benefit of other owners. 

Happy motoring from this point on.

... Company I bought it off has disappeared .... Not down Swansea way by any chance. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Welcome to the forum John, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

Glad you got your issue sorted and Gareth is right in saying that not many members report back to us once they've got the problem sorted. So thank you for helping other members in that regard 🙂

cheers

Steve