Technical Questions

dakes55

It seems this forum is not very active and I never seem to get replies to my questions, maybe my questions are too technical for this forum,??????????????

Hello John,

Sorry to hear that 'no one is talking to you'. Disappointing for you, and forum to hear your comments. OK , your comments are real and meaningful, and you could well be correct in your analysis that ..... (Your) ..'questions are too technical for this forum,?????...'

I'm sure you will appreciate John that this (and no doubt many other forums) are followed and responded to by amateurs, who's knowledge will very often be limited to experience of having dealt with a specific problem in the past. I don't think we are blessed with too many actual current-hands-on Audi technicians - unfortunately.

Technical questions are sometimes just that, and can be testing for those trying to help, and it would seem from your questions that you may be possibly more clued up on some of this modern technology that the folks on here, so the chances of gaining free advice in an extention of your knowledge - may be rather slim. Unfortunate in your cases, but seemly you have a valid point. 

A couple of things I would point out:- I think SteveQ is correct when be welcomes new posters on hear by saying that contributors are generally friendly. All I can add to that is that I think the majority of responders genuinely try to be helpful - if they can! The good folks who 'run' this forum do so 'freely' and without reward. Personally, I think they aim to do the best they can with what they have. 

Finally Steve - as I said- I get the impression that you are generally clued up on the type of question you ask, and I think the forum would benefit from your input to perhaps help others who are not do knowledgeable. It's the potential for assistance from the likes of yourself which keep this going.

Having carried in too long, I'm going to forget about problems and just enjoy the day. Off now to a nice drive in the classic car to a friendly show in my home village.

Have a good day Steve,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Apologies - no time to check to check for typos.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 10 years old, I am now 63, and have gained a vast amount of knowledge over the years, I have also owned and worked on many types of Audi's and VW's as they are my favourite types of cars, I was just hoping that there might have been someone on here with more knowledge than me, I would be glad to help anyone out who has any questions on VAG cars, especially tiptronic auto gearbox problems, I will help where I can,

• Like 1

Sorry you feel ignored John but I think Gareth has hit the nail on the head. 

I do try and help where I can but more often than not im not very good with electrical questions as my electrical knowledge is limited. 

I think it's partly down to the fact they you have a rarer Audi model and I can feel in the same boat sometimes as the c5 isn't too common on here. 

The forum is managed by a small group of dedicated volunteers and we do try our hardest to keep the forum Aline and active. I think the problem lies with the fact there are alot of people who sign up, post once with a question then clear off again. Keeping regulars on here is alot harder. 

I'll definitely try and be more helpful in the future. 

Also as you're in Leicester I'd be more than happy to meet up and try and get a local type meet going 🙂

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

To add to my previous reply, I'd also like to say that you're more than welcome to offer suggestions to the club John. We are always wanting to improve the club and forum so please let me know if you have any recommendations 🙂

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I am an electromechanical engineer by trade and having a passion for working on and restoring cars I have gained a lot of experience over the years and would gladly offer any help and advice to members where I can, I also have VCDS diagnostics and can offer to do free diagnostics for members, 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dakes55 said:

Thanks Steve, I am an electromechanical engineer by trade and having a passion for working on and restoring cars I have gained a lot of experience over the years and would gladly offer any help and advice to members where I can, I also have VCDS diagnostics and can offer to do free diagnostics for members, 

Thanks John, as I say I'm sorry you don't get the answers you're looking for and I know it's  frustrating as you are clearly in the minority in the fact that you are very experienced auto technician and as such it's harder to find individuals on here with more knowledge than yourself. I wish I had half the knowledge you have, I just help members where I can 🙂

• Like 1

I know very little about cars my limited experience has come from asking questions once my google hunting has led me nowhere, and as Steve has pointed out it would be nice if 1st time posters hung around after they have gained the answers they need instead of buggering off till their next problem, we are all mostly just Audi owners who from time to time run across problems we need help with and i have found this forum a fountain of knowledge which has helped me out on more than one occasion 

• Like 3