Speed bump damage , what are these ?

Hi , not sure where to post this for help so apologies if wrong area! 

Can anyone tell me what these parts are please that have ripped off my A3 by going over a rubber speed bump like a snail ? 

ABB10429-29D6-44D7-B5DD-730E8722FA95.jpeg

Hello Claire,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

A couple of pointers which may be of help:-

Could you confirm that these are not off your 2018 A3, and if you would be able to post underside views of the two parts shown on the left of the photos. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Claire,

Many thanks for the prompt reply, and it certainly does clarify things. Sorry to have asked, but in the original photos, the parts on the right could be confused for being metal, and looked rather 'deteriorated' for the age. 

My stab it this is that they are part of the general front under tray assembly and covers for where the jack would be placed (probably the lowest points on the car). 

Safe to drive? Always a difficult question and one where I would respond by suggesting that although you know these (probably structurally insignificant) parts are damaged/detached, you don't really know the full extent of any unseen damage. If it were mine, I would be calling in to your friendly local garage at the first opportunity (almost certsin to be dealt with quicker than trying to book it in to the Audi dealer), and asking them to put it or the ramp and inspect the damage for you. Armed with this information, you can then nip along to Audi and order the parts, and again, if it were me, I would get your local garage to fit them for you - assuming there isn't any other 'structural' damage. 

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks all for your replies 😊 they are indeed jack point parts , I took it to my local Audi dealer today and someone kindly put it up on the ramp for us to have a look . Nothing else damaged apart from these so put back the ‘bung’ type part for now and I’ll order some new ones.  

Always just a worry when like you say you can’t see the extent of damage , but it’s all ok . 

Thanks again for the help 👌🏻

Many thanks for coming back on this Claire, and we are pleased for you that it is only minor damage. I think you have done the right thing by getting the car inspected to gain reassurance that the damage is indeed confined to the parts you see. I don't think you can assume all is well until it has been inspected and confirmed to be so. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Just got one of those fall off my car (a3 sedan) because I hit something in the road (very low speed so not worried about damage, i hit it and ), I was offroad, does fitting those require some kind of glue or it's just fit them and forget?

Worth trying to place it back or it's just useless piece which can wait until the next check?

I guess it's just protection

4 hours ago, BiS said:

Hi,

Just got one of those fall off my car (a3 sedan) because I hit something in the road (very low speed so not worried about damage, i hit it and ), I was offroad, does fitting those require some kind of glue or it's just fit them and forget?

Worth trying to place it back or it's just useless piece which can wait until the next check?

I guess it's just protection

Answering myself after checking it (no car lifting, just phone recordings and using a mini-hill in my terrain).

The piece is indeed a protection (or just the jack socket :P but it looks a great way to protect from that kind of hits) and it's not glued, it has a plastic/gelatine object (my English is not perfect) which helps keeping it attached to the car.

I just took the plastic/gelatine thing off the car (lucky it didn't fell) and installed it into the piece.

The last thing to do is to make pressure upwards, which I couldn't do strong enough without lifting the car. I didn't want to use the emergency lifter because I didn't want to put my body under a car lifted with it.

So instead, I used the emergency lifter to push the piece inside the car. Worked wonders, now is as "safe/hard to move" as the other side front jack

The piece took a hit which is visible tho, but nothing is broken.

Hope it helps someone.

PS: just found emergency lifter = jack