TTS stalling in HOT weather

Martin Hull

Hi there I’m new to all this I’ve never posted anything in my life. But I’m at the end of my tether with my my 2010 TTS, and I hope somebody out there has had this problem and knows of a fix

for it.

When the weather is really hot as it is at present my car sometimes stalls and will not start again until the sun goes down or it is left in the shade.

i have had green flag out to it and when they put their computer on it there was no fault visible. It then went into a local main dealer and they can’t find anything wrong with it, and yet it still 

occurs. 

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so what is the fix, Audi do not seem to know.

Thanks  in advance for any help given

Welcome to the forum Martin, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

when the TT cuts out what is the temperature of the engine? 

do you get a loss of power or any other sign of it overheating?

im wondering if it's an intermittent fault caused by a faulty sensor? 

cheers

Steve

Hello Steve, many thanks for contacting me.

When it cuts out the engine temperature is showing normal.

The normal run of events is as follows :- the car is running normally and all of a sudden it starts to feel as if the engine is misfiring and it hasn’t got enough petrol getting through.

The engine then starts to hunt and usually cuts out after a couple of minutes  it then won’t start again until it has cooled down usually later in the day when the sun has gone down and the outside temperature is cooler.

The car is a 2010 TTS that has done about 52k miles.

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hello Martin,

This  sounds to be a classic case of fuel vaporisation, with the current higher volatility fuels, but the problem is, such issues do not  affect 'modern' cars. I have been around classic cars for more years than I care to remember, and this would certainly be considered as the culprit, but having said that, I would expect those cars to start again once the engine had cooled down, rather than with yours which suggests many hours. 

The answer is Martin, that I really don't have an answer!., but I would be first trying the 'super' unleaded - worth a try. If the problem still persists, and chances are it might, I would talk with an independent and enquire about the possibilities of air locks in the fuel supply etc. etc. It might also be worth checking the fuel pump fuse - but not just that it hasn't blown - which it won't have, but that there isn't any contact resistance. Partly pull out, squirt some contact cleaner, wiggle, and press firmly home again. On the basics of replacing cheapest bits first, might be worth changing the fuel pump relay, and fuel filter, but do one thing and test , so you will know what, if anything, eases the problem . 

Not sure if any of this will help, but let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.