Hi guys, new here. Looking for advice on a purchase! (A3 Saloon vs A4) (used)

So the A3 Saloon is slightly more rare than the A4, which possibly bumps up the price a little especially for lower mileage.

I've found a few cars.

1. Audi A3 Saloon 1.6 TDI Sport Trim - £11,250. 42,500 miles, 64 plate (late 2014).

2. Audi A3 Saloon 2.0 TDI Sport Trim - £12,000. 39,700 miles, 64 plate (late 2014).

3. Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe SE Technik - £11,570. 36,141 miles, 14 plate (early 2014).

My budget is £11,000 to £12,000. I realise if I go for an A3 hatchback there will be more about for the money but I just think the Saloon version looks much better. Then I think, well if I'm going for a saloon why not try and push up to an A4?

My issue with the A4 is the interior design is from 2008 I believe? (could be wrong). Which I'm worried will feel a bit dated (I need to actually sit in one and test drive it), and are the running costs going to be a lot higher than the A3? Then it's also a bit slower than the A3 Saloon (2.0 TDI).

The A3 1.6 TDI is going to be cheapest to run for me, but I currently have a VW Golf mk7 2.0tdi (sorry if that's a swear word here) which will be the same engine as the 2.0 in the A3 I listed, not sure I could live with the power decrease, despite the benefits of costing less in fuel. 

I'm doing about 2 hours a day driving, I'd like something nice to sit in and something which eliminates the outside noise. I think the A3 2.0tdi is winning in my head right now, but have you guys got any suggestions, comments, thoughts, tips (maybe things to look out for if I go see these cars?), personal experience? 

I did take an A3 2.0TDI hatchback for a test drive and I did like it but I feel like the Saloon version would be a nice change from owning a hatchback.

My advice is go with the 2.0tdi as I find the 2.6 Abit under powered. 

My advice is to test drive both but if it we're me I'd be choosing an a4. 

Also check to see if the cars you're looking at have had the emissions recall carried out and if so when. If the car is for sale right after having it done then there could be trouble! 

Cheers

Steve

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yeah I feel the 1.6 tdi will be a bit weak, I test drove a Seat Leon a couple of years back which had that engine and I have to say it put me off buying the car (other than the uncomfy seats!).  There is an element of me which thinks if it's just about fast enough, is it going to save me an actual significant amount of money on fuel over 16,000 miles a year?  If I am constantly overtaking etc I'm gonna have to work the 1.6tdi more, but I suppose if I am just sat at a constant speed the 1.6tdi is going to batter the 55-60mpg I get with my 2.0TDI Golf.

I totally agree I need to test drive both, I've got my eyes on a 177hp A4 right now.  I've never even sat in a B8 Audi A4 (well maybe one as a taxi when I was too drunk to notice!) so I think i need to get behind the wheel and see how I feel.

As I say, I did drive an A3 Sportback and I know I liked the feel of the interior in that and the drive felt solid so I'm not worried about the A3 Saloon, it's more a case of getting in an A4 to compare.