Sounds issues A3 2.0 S line

tom agg

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advice on an issue I'm having with my A3.

For the last few months I have had intermittent issues with a crackling noise coming from the MMI and speakers. I first thought it was down to poor radio signal as it was only crackling at randoms time.

I have tested all the speakers individually and they don't seem to be blown so I think it might be a different issue. The noise or interference now happens with media player and using the phone on Bluetooth so it can't be a radio issue. Could it need a software update?

The problem I have is because it's not a constant issue I've had two local garages test drive it and tell me there is no issues. 

Does anyone have experience of a similar issue or know of what I can do to resolve this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as it is starting to become very frustrating. 

Many thanks,
Tom

Hello Tom, exactly same for me! But mine has no sound output......sometimes....then works fine!!! Really annoying.

Diagnosed by Audi (fixed £60)as intermittent sound output failure on 5F unit.

£2800 to replace and program

Regards

Steve 

HI Steve,

Thanks for the letting me know. 2,800 seems pretty pricey.

It's not so bad at the moment but I have a feeling it will only get worse.

Did you get it done at Audi or did you go elsewhere?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,yep unfortunatly it just gets worse. Have u tried reset MMi ?? (Handbook)

Trying to sort with dealer who I bought it off so cant say too much.

When sorted will comment again.

Good luck Tom

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all..just an update on my MMi sound issues!      Dealer I bought from has now replaced/coded new 5f unit for my a3. Everything works properley now.

Well done Lookers VW Teeside! 

So a happy ending for me.

How are you getting on with yours Tom??

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Great news that your dealer has now fixed the issue.

Unfortunately I haven't had that same customer service from Audi in Brighton, and they have now quoted me 2,995 to replace the MMI Unit after a full inspection. Even though they couldn't actually confirm that was the issue.

The car is 4 years old and they said it's out of warranty and there in nothing they can do. I argued the case that this is a major part of the car which should not be going wrong after 4 years, regardless of whether it's in warranty or not.

The strange thing is, I recently unplugged the USB charger that was in the centre console and it has worked perfectly for the last few days. No sound issues at all across DAB, Media or Bluetooth. Very strange to think unplugging something would fix the issue when Audi recommend replacing the whole MMI System.

Anyway, hopefully it continues to work okay as I can't justify spending 3 grand on a fault that is intermittent. 

Thanks for the update though!

Tom

Hi Tom, really weird!!  Mine 2014. 56k !!

Try diff cable..check connection port/cable plug for foreign objects??

Contact head office of dealer ask for complaints dept!!

Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will try a different cable. I have emailed the complaints department but they keep saying it's out of warranty and there is nothing they can do.

I will let you know how things end up.

Tom

Hi Tom,sorry to hear that about Audi Brighton try....

National Conciliation Service (01788 538317)website  they gave me number for head office!!

Explain situation, you gave them a chance to sort it and what they replied etc. Keep details names,times,dates etc

Took me 6mths from initial complaint!!!!!

Seems to me that this is quite a common problem!!

Previous post should have included a well done too

Lookers Audi Newcastle

for all their help with my car!!

Good luck

Regards

Steve

• 4 years later...