Minor Steering Problem: Steering Returnability

Ollieclements92

I've just recently brought an Audi A3 2.0 FSI 53 plate.

Theres a few very minor problems with it i'm hoping I can get some help with.

The steering wheel doesn't return to the centre when turning, I have to turn it back. It's not a major problem. I've booked it in for a full service as I can only find the service history up to 2014 so i'm hoping its the power steering fluid and it only needs to be replaced. But I've seen that this could problem could be caused by a number of issues:

• It could be a King pin, Bell Crank or a bent steering rack.

I'm wondering how much this could cost to get done and if it's even worth it.

Also, there is some minor vibration on the pedal and steering wheel when braking from high speeds, they feel a bit soft. I'm sure they'll be able to tell me how much life the brakes have in them, hopefully its just the pads.

I am not clear what your steering problem is. When you centralise the steering wheel do the road wheels point straight ahead (does the car drive straight,) or do they point to one side (does the car gently turn)?

If the former, you may have damage to the suspension/steering so the car needs to be examined at a garage. Is there anything unusual about the handling of the car either in a straight line or when cornering? Are the tyres worn unevenly? Or it may simply be low fluid level.

If the latter, it is likely the tracking or toe-in has been adjusted more on one side than the other. Its nothing to worry about though it looks odd and can be easily corrected.

The vibration under braking could be distorted discs or it indicate more serious damage to the steering/suspension.

I reckon you need to get the car examined and repaired to ensure it is safe and roadworthy. If you lucky it will only cost a small fortune. If you are unlucky...