Front brakes!!

mither

Hello Steve,

Unless you intend to drive this car in a way its wasn't designed for - track days etc. - I don't think you will go wrong with fitting genuine VAG parts which can often be bought at discount. 

We did try an 'ordinary aftermarket' brand in our A3 and literally took them out after a month, and fitted Audi ones - such was the difference. 

If you are intent on moving away from OEM parts for some reason ( but certainly don't make it, cost) then quality aftermarket brands such as Brembo or EBC might be a consideration. I would certainly avoid once well respected brand names, since these are largely bought-out brand names to add some kudos to basically 'cheap' products. I would just not go there. 

Kind regards,

Gareth 

Afternoon Magnet...sorry for late reply.

Thanks for your advice.   Just normal driving...no track days!! Audi quoted £285 supply n fit! TPS want £180.50 inc vat! Wouldnt give me part no..booh!!

Do you know part no ?.  Size?

Recomendations??

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

OK, normal driving so you just want to replicate the original braking, and my first recommendation would be to use Audi parts. 

If the dealer is quoting for supply and fit, and TPS want £100 less for the parts then we can assume that TPS are charging you near retail for the parts - based on the dealer charging about an hour to do the work. 

Do you intend to do the work yourselves? Are we talking just fronts (or backs) only? 

If you are doing this work yourself then it's worth considering the £100 saving even if you have to buy at retail. 

Part no. Can't really see the importance of this. If you are buying the parts at Audi then they will simply sell you the correct parts. 

If cost does become king, then all you need to do is to carry out an eBay search for pads for your model and year, and you will come up with numerous aftermarket makes - some of which I wouldn't touch! If you feel you want to buy at 'best price' then look for Brembo or EBC ( of which there are different grades). There will be others cheaper, but.... This might - just might give you as good braking as original Audi pads - but you will be buying on price. 

Unfortunately, my source of Audi parts at discount has dried up, but someone else may be able to help you with this, since this would be your best route. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Afternoon Magnet, dealer price wrong!!!!??? Dunno what I was thinking of..lol!  £465 supply n fit!  Looks more like a dealer price eh?

Anyway, mot Oct so just looking into them at minute dont want a failure. Think it might be TPS and diy job. Seems my front discs are 288mm (not 312mm 184bhp +quattro)Are they hard to do? Anything different on Audi I need to know?? (done front discs b4 on XR3i)  Special tools etc!  Any "how to's??" . I am not a muppet but this is 1st Audi.

Any help/advice welcome

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

I would not have thought that there was going to be much unconventional on your set up, but I cannot be more specific since I haven't worked on your variant of the A3. 

So there now appears to be a significant difference in the parts only vs supply and fit, so positive thinking - think what savings you are going to make by DIY!

Are you sure that TPS will be supplying you with genuine VAG parts? 

If not, I see Trevor is drawing our attention to discounts on EBC.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 3 weeks later...