Just purchased my first Audi A4 Avant 18 TFSI.

maddog226uk

I made the mistake of not coming here first for some insite into what to look out for when buying an Audi. I have driven  A3 for years but not owned any of them, so I have a fair idea. The funny thing is I started experiencing problems almost from day one. It went into limp mode after 30 miles (EPC) and blowing on three cylinders, coil blown and spark plugs needed to be replaced. The dealer agreed to sort it out. I have a couple of questions, I have noticed it is consuming oil at a heavy rate at 1ltr in about 200 miles and it I get a puff of smoke in 2nd at  3000. Now the garage who I called said that it needs a thicker oil instead of 5w 30 they would throw in 10 20. Is this a wise move? The dealer has said that it is under warranty, but with all things like this is proving that there is an issue. He's asking me to monitor how long 1ltr of oil lasts. When I put it into reverse  there is a slight judder when steering in both directions, the dealer attributed that to it having big wheels on it. I look forward to hearing from any body who might be able advise me. The mileage is 50k.

Hello Emmanuel,

Sorry to hear of your issues. 

Irrespective of the other issues, if this car is consuming oil at the late of 1ltr/200 miles (c120 miles/pint?) then the car is practically unsuitable for reasonable use, and should be formally rejected, and returned to the selling dealer for a full refund. Your local Citizens Advice will advise you how to go about this, but you certainly need to act without delay, and do it in writing not only on the telephone. 

Using a thicker oil? Just don't go there - the engine was designed to use the grade stated. 

Good luck in getting your money back.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I assume this is a recent purchase. 

I completely agree with Gareth on this, I'd be taking it back to the dealer for a refund as it shouldn't be consuming that much oil and its a known fault on the TFSI engines. 

Cheers

Steve

Thank you for the information, I have contacted the dealer and we are in the process of returning the vehicle, although as per usual he's claiming it's new to him, and has booked it in to be seen by an Audi dealership. This is just the beginnings of a long road of arguments to come. (14th day of ownership).

Thank you once again. If you are interested I will post updates as a reference to anyone who might be in the same boat as me.

Thank you

Mannie

I wish you all the good luck I hope you won't need Maddie.

Just keep at it, and if the rejection of the car hangs on an inspection by an Audi dealer, then request a copy of the report. I don't mean to tell you what to do, but if I was in your situation I would keep a written record of all dates, and conversations as things proceed.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I'm sure others too would be very grateful for updates. 

Yes thank you I have, started recording all of our conversations, I have also put everything in witting, back up all conversations with facts retained from talking to Audi directly to confirm that I am on the right path.

Thank you.

Mannie

Edited by maddog226uk
Update
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update you all on the progress of my car. I decided to keep the car, once I felt I could trust the agent I purchased the car from. He agreed to meet any cost if any would be attributed. It failed stage one after 190 miles and stage two they measured it was consuming 3.66 litres of oil per 1000 kilometres, it was a record in Audi Hatfield (Car was not purchased from there). A report was compiled and sent to Audi's head office for sign off. They have agreed and approved a full engine rebuild, 10% of the cost will be passed on the agent, who has agreed to that. They will also investigate the vibrations experienced whilst steering at low speed. My car has been booked in for next week. Full steam ahead.

Thank you.

Mannie

Edited by maddog226uk
ammended
  • Like 1

Hi Gareth,

Yes that is correct, believe it or not Audi Germany agreed to 50%, another Audi dealer who will remain anonymous agreed to 40%. Crazy ey, all I have to say is, stay strong and be polite.

Kind Regards

Mannie

Well done Mannie,

Strange things happen then. Marvellous.

Without reading back on all the posts, I seem to recall you would have bought this 8 year old car from a non franchised car sales ( not Audi dealer - due to age?). 

So some (OK understandanly annonomous) Audi dealer is contributing 40% of the bill, VAG 50%, and the actual supplying car sales  - any?%? 

Most interesting result. Mileage as a matter of interest Manni? Any interesting history? 

As I say, I think you've done extremely well, and obviously dealt with this in a first class manner. Mrs. May could do with you! 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.