Help!! Issues with 53 plate A3

Rswann

Help!!!

Bought an Audi A3 53 plate few months ago just to get me around for a few months! Few issues wrong with it, I’m not very into cars so if you could keep replies as basic as possible would be great!!

1. Air bag light comes on sometimes, sometimes it’s flashing, sometimes it’s just on and other times it’s not on! Just not consistent so thinking wiring issue?
  2. There is a squeak from the rear wheels (I think) but the squeak goes when I have the breaks on, would this be the breaks sticking?
  3. Driving on the motorway and going to overtake and the power disappears in 5th and 6th gear, as if there is no turbo or oomph from the engine, it keeps the speed but just no decent power typical from a 2.0tdi! This has only happened the once and not happened since!
  4. Engine fan can go on overdrive sometimes, again not consistent! Even on short drives, temp gauge still fine.
  5. And finally this only started most recently, haven’t worked out the trigger yet but the handbrake light starts flashing and beeping while I’m driving, as if it’s telling me the handbrake is on but it’s not! Then it’ll go off, it may come on again but then it may not!

Sorry for all the questions! Just a Woman that doesn’t know much about cars! Just wondering if it would be better to just get rid of the car or if it’s worth it to take it to a garage to fix it! Thankyou!!!

Rebecca.

Of course it can be fixed, but it will likely cost you twice what the car is worth. Do you like the car enough that you would spend that much money on it? In your position I would get rid of it, though it may be difficult to find anybody apart from a scrap man willing to take on such a wreck.

Hello Rebecca, 

Adding all the issues together would perhaps suggest the car is not worth spending on, but looked at as individual problems, it should be possible to prioritise them, and decide which are essential to do and which aren't. After all, it's a 15 year old vehicle.

What we don't know is:-

How long you have owned the car, and what level of issues you have had with it in that time.

How the car drives generally, apart from the listed issues. 

What you paid for it and how much you have spent on it.

What your budget would be if you were to sell it. Assume worse possible case of yours only being worth scrap value ( which it isn't). 

If you have a local trusted garage, or better still access to an enthusiastic 'spanner man' who might help you out. 

Personally, I would be concerned if your replacement car budget is low, you could be buying something which simply has another set of different issues - the devil you know etc. 

As a starter for you - the rear wheel squeak/ brake warning light, could be brake pads needing changing, but you really need at spend an hour's labour to get this assessed and costed, before deciding what to do. 

Hope some of this helps,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thankyou both so much!

only paid £1200 for the car, in July from a mechanic that’s a family friend, just to set me up for a few months as I’ve been out of the country a few years! Only thing that was on inconsistently was the air bag light so I got the mechanic to look at that, but he didn’t say anything on the matter! Then everything else started happening once I had moved away! Car itself drives fine, first start up of the day is dodgy, but after that it’s perfect! Handles well, easy gear changes etc

Ill try to find a garage around where I am (new to my current area), I’m hoping it’s just wiring faults as I don’t want to be spending loads on a car that’s only meant to be with me a few months!

thankyou again! Really do appreciate it!

Hello Rebecca,

You are very welcome.

Bought in July from a mechanic. I'm guessing here, but came with a new MOT? (they say never buy a car from a mechanic, since they know the significance of issues and when to ignore them!).

If it has an MOT beyond your 'only meant to be with me for a few months' then personally, I would consider spending the minimum on it to keep it going- the minimum being spent on the safety critical issues. e.g. rear brake requirements etc. 

I woukd advise caution with choosing a local garage and try to find one by a series of recommendations. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. If MOT expires within your 'lasting few months' then alternative advise might apply. 

• 2 months later...

with regards to the rear brakes squeaking while driving then silent when brakes are applied - happens with my front right brakes too but try jacking up one rear corner, taking off the wheel and using a rubber mallet, gently hit the caliper both with the brakes on and off to try to locate where the noise is coming from - found out mine is due to missing springs holding the pads in securely - not an MOT failure but just an irritating noise.