Rip off body work cost?

10lbtench

Ive been quoted 650 +vat to prepare and respray a little bit of surface rust on top of rear wheel arch , looks like and old scuff thats been left too long.

They have quoted for removal of quarter panel and a door blend.

Surely thats way too much, or am i just out of touch?

Any advice much appreciated

IMG_20180808_105632.jpg

Hello Andrew,

I too would have thought £780 (inc. VAT) is expensive, but I am confused by the '...removal of the quarter panel'.

Also you don't tell us whether the quote is directly from the body shop or whether it might for example be via. an Audi dealer. 

It is difficult to confirm from your photo, if the rust is from a a non-treated scrape, but I suspect it isn't, and in fact is 'genuine' rust extending in from the wheel arch edge. If so, body shops don't like dealing with this since the rust will return and the customer will be unhappy. If this is the case, and a close up photo would help - it may be that they have given you a 'go away estimate' since they don't want to do it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth thanks for the reply.

Yeah the "go away " quote crossed my mind too.

The quote is from a local body shop, who told me they would have to remove quarter panel to carry out repair...is this correct?

Def looks like untreated scrape to me from close ups..what you think?.

audi rust 2.jpg

audi rust 3.jpg

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the additional photo which tends to reinforce my opinion that this could well be perforating rust rather than surface rust. A close visual inspection of the area might show an odd bubble of lifting paint. If it does, then that would convince me that I'm on the right track. 

IF this is the case then I would most certainly believe the bodyshop really 'doesn't want to know' since it is unlikely they will be able to eradicate the rust and guarantee it will remain rust free for say 3/5 years. 

Continued apologies to those who have suffered this advice before, but if it were mine, I would be having a word with the chaps at a small local car sales site and asking for a recommendation for someone to do this for you. These boys often have poor press, but they make a living by trying to operate with local value-for-money repairers, so can be a good source of where to go. Having said that Andrew, I think you must be realistic in your expectations and accept that however good the repairer is, this rust is likely to return. Also consider that matches might not be as good as you would like, but  hopefully you should get a value for money job done.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

All your input is greatly appreciated Gareth , the bubbling you see underneath the rust is actually the rain i have not wiped away properly :  ) Will take a dry pic in the morning for you, which will show more clearly,

Ive received a quote this evening to remove the rust , treat with rust killer , repair prime and paint the rear arch and the rear door for colour would  at £ 350.00

Which sounds far more reasonable.