q7 towbar?

big gee77

I'm getting a 2012 q7 sline with a panoramic sunroof.

I've heard that i can't get a towbar fitted as the sunroof weakens the chassis. 

is this correct or am I misinformed 

many thanks

I think it is essential to consider basic factual information with such things as this. 

Every vehicle will have a maximin towing capacity, and I believe (but please take professional advice) that this is based on the (gross?) weight of the towing vehicle. 

It is possible - and understandable - that vehicles fitted with panoramic roofs may have a lower towing weight than those fitted with conventional steel roofs since despite the likely bonded nature of the glass roof, the total structure may not be as rigid as the conventional roofed vehicles. Having said that, I cannot understand that a panoramic roofed vehicle simply cannot tow anything! 

Of course, I am not giving you an answer, and without undermining advice given on here, I don't feel comfortable that this is the right place to end up with the definitive answer. 

If it were me, I would be making enquiries at:- 

Main dealer, or Audi Customer Services - Technical, and/or

Established towing equipment fitters/suppliers. 

In both cases - make sure you have the advice in writing.  - should be in capitals! 

As no doubt you will understand, this reply only serves to suggest a reliable source of correct information.

Trusting you will be able to get this.

Kind regards,

Gareth.