Headlight washer mot fail

Maximuss

Hello. I thought I would send a warning to all, in particular those who may be having a first mot. I have just taken a4 s line for it`s first mot which failed. The reason? The headlight washer was inoperable. This  was due we think to insufficient water in the reservoir. The system makes water available for washing the windscreen rather than the headlights which incidentally only works when the headlights are in dip mode. The operatives at the centre told me this failure was a common audi problem and is the product of poor German engineering. They didn't mention anything about the water level or they didn't know, but what a pretty reason for a failure. So if you are due an mot fill your washers up full.

So you had to take the car away fill washer bottle then take it back for a re-test could they just not fill it for you and charge a small fee for washer fluid on top of MOT cost.

Garage i use would not have failed it i dont think in the past they have replaced bulbs and just charged me for the bulb cost. it does seem very petty Peter

They did say they had topped the reservoir but when I got home I filled it again. I didn't know anything about the lights having to be in dip mode or that the reservoir needing to be above half full to work until I googled the problem. I was told at the garage that this is a common audi problem and that many more owners were going to have the same problem. I tried the washer at home and it worked so I called the garage right away.I was told that they have to test the car as presented. Would it be that much of a task to warn people with cars that there may be the possibility of a fail if the car isn't topped up? For something so minor that causes a retest, puts the car off the road until resolved not to mention the inconvenience. All could be avoided with a simple heads up which is why I have created this post to warn others.