Newbie problem

Tracey

Hi

Bought my first Audi A6 Quattro estate 1 month ago. My friend drove it over from the UK for us. We have now done 1000 miles in it and we have developed a problem with the gearbox.  It is an automatic tiptronic.  It keeps sticking in 3rd all the gearbox icons light up and the only way to clear it is to restart the engine.  It’s a 2005 reg. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Hi Tracey get it to a local garage so they can run diagnostics test and see what fault codes come back could be a simple fix like a oil change in the gearbox or something more serious but i would not ignore the gearbox icons coming on. the longer you ignore the warnings the worse it will get and cost you to repair  

let us know what the garage says if possible find an Audi independent garage

1 hour ago, Paul A6 said:

Hi Tracey get it to a local garage so they can run diagnostics test and see what fault codes come back could be a simple fix like a oil change in the gearbox or something more serious but i would not ignore the gearbox icons coming on. the longer you ignore the warnings the worse it will get and cost you to repair  

let us know what the garage says if possible find an Audi independent garage

Thanks Paul we will try a local garage first before we hit  the big boys.

Ok been today and had it plugged into a snap on fault code reader.Not a Audi one.

2 faults came up.

EGR fault not related to my problem.

and 

3rd and 4th gear problem.

Is it worth considering changing the gear box oil before going any further the car has done 135k and I don't know if has been changed before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul 

The garage cleared all the fault codes and told us to drive it until it does it again,then take it back to see what faults come up.

Bearing in mind we live in a very rural part of France and he is the only mechanic in the village lol.If it was a tractor I could get it fixed tomorrow.

if it happens again when oil has time to heat up could be a good indication of low oil in the gear box at least thats something i read on another site somewhere if its that then an oil change could be the fix

Okay we now have time to change the gearbox oil to start with. Do you know which one we need. Looked in the handbook and can’t find it. It’s a Audi A6 s Line Quattro estate. 2997cc automatic tip tropic. 2005 reg.

1 minute ago, Paul A6 said:

are you doing the work yourself? this really is a job for a garage that knows what their doing as i believe this it not as straight forward as new for old fluid 

Hi Paul

Yes my husband was going to do it. He’s pretty good with cars but you think that this might be tricky. Any tips?

from what i have read and i may be wrong but the fluid has to be added and certain fluid temps need to be met as you refill or you risk more problems like i say i may be wrong and its an easy job

Sorry Tracey not getting notifications on this topic as fast as normal so a bit late replying. if your husband thinks he can do this confidently i cant see a problem if he gets the right fluid which should be on the car sticker he should be good to go. any doubts then let a garage do it at least then you have comeback  

Oil change car ruin the gearbox on tiptronic. Chances are it was never done as audi says its " sealed for life" . When changing oil all metal particles etc can be washed to the bottom of the pan and when filling in will be all over the gearbox. Also as tiptronic runs on a tourque conventer a lot of oil will stay inside. If you do want to change it i suggdest a dynamic change over static. 

@Tracey Piotr knows his A6 stuff and would recommend his advice over mine, he has helped me out a few times where my knowledge was lacking but he knows so much about our A6 cars that i trust his advice

Ok nothing happens quickly in france.

My husband has a Mitsubishi Evo 9 and the gearbox has gone.The local mechanic has took it out for him,and has to be sent back to England to be rebuilt.

When we picked up the gearbox I asked him when he could look at the Audi and he said Monday then he said it might be the the MAF?

My husband thinks this is not right.(no he thinks total b****cks).

Any thoughts on this.

Tracey

• 1 month later...

its possible to make a compressor out of a water sprayer and disconnect the oil feed pipe at the oil cooler - run the engine to pump 1 litre out and then use the pump you made to pump one litre into the cooler, then repeat - this is a safe way to get all the old oil out, including the torque converter.

its the same as the mega flush service

if your old oil is black and smells burnt - then you will need a new/recon box.