***AIRBAGS ACTIVATED BY CLOSING CAR DOOR***

Braders

My daughter and her friend got out of the car and upon closing the door the airbags activated, seatbelt retracted and the car has been disabled.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Since Saturday we have been on the phone to Audi UK and the Audi garage that we purchased the car from; they have been less than understanding.  I am appalled that Audi have not taken this matter seriously at all.  Fortunately, other than bruising and scald marks to my shoulder and neck where the seatbelt pulled me back no one else was hurt.  However, please be warned that this could be a manufacturing fault and if my daughter had still been in the passenger seat whilst her friend got out of the car this could have resulted in a serious injury.  I am now without a car and getting increasingly frustrated by a lack of response.  If l go through my insurance l will end up out of pocket which seems wholly unfair when the car has not been involved in an accident of any kind.  Nor this should be down to any wear and tear, in fact the car has just had a new timing belt fitted by the Audi dealer at which time they also carried out a routine safety check!!!! Any advise would be most appreciated and if you could share this information with others so that it doesn't happen to anybody else that would be great.

Hi Claire...welcome to the Forum.

I am mystified by this one!

Firstly, the SRS function should not be armed when stationary as the vehicle needs to be travelling in excess of around 10mph and in a forward direction (in the case of the drivers and passenger airbags and seatbelt pretensioners activating). If this is the case that you were stationary, which I assume you were as your daughter was alighting from the car (difficult to do when the car is moving) then I would assume there is either a fault in the programming algorythm or there is an electrical fault.

It would be an easy one to prove as if there is no accident damage then it has to be one or the other of the above mentioned faults...and one that needs to be referred through the Audi dealership as a matter of urgency in case there is a potential recall issue. 
There was an issue with Audi's fitted with Takata airbags (the company has since gone out of business and left a worldwide trail of airbags that need replacing) but not sure if yours is one that is affected...again, check with Audi directly.

Let us know how you get on with it all

Trevor