New car - Please help

Mario

Dear Audi A3 8P owners and fans,

I recently purchased an Audi A3 . I am a in doubt about the model and year of my car due to different websites are showing different results for number plate and VIN number. I was unable to identify the same trim and engine seize (1.6 petrol) on other similar cars. Can you please help me identify more details(HP, year model, level of trim) for my car? Please find attached a photo with all the car details from the trunk. 

Thank you!

Regards,

Mario 

croped car details.jpg

Hi Clifford,

Thank you for the answer. Is it possible that DVLA wrongly registered the car (1.4  instead of 1.6, 2005 instead of 2006)? If so what is the next step that i have to take? 

P.S All the VIN lookup websites that I used show that the year is 2006. 

Mario.

Even if the DVLA have it wrong it can only be because they have been given the wrong information. Somebody somewhere is lying about the car. Maybe it was a simple clerical error, maybe it is a cut-and-shut job, maybe it is stolen, (in which case it could be confiscated). Whatever the reason you need to investigate, and the best place to start is the DVLA.

Niedzial1983 thanks for the link, I managed to check all the options available on my car. Cheers!

SteveQ & Cliff, the VIN is the same in the engine (under the hood), on the front windscreen and the back of the car.  Just called DVLA today and they told me the car was 1st registered by Audi in 2005 with 1395 cc and advised to call Audi to check the car. What are your thoughts? 

It wouldn't hurt to check with Audi, in fact I think the DVLA is subtly telling you to get it sorted out. It may be that the engine has been changed, which is perfectly permissible as long as the DVLA is notified of the change, but be aware that your insurance may be based on DVLA records. If your insurers believe the car has a 1.4 engine and it actually has a 1.6 then your insurance is invalid, which in turn means you are driving illegally. Look at your insurance papers.

Furthermore I have no idea how or why the year of registration can be changed, so the whole matter still seems mighty suspicious to me. I hope you still have the receipt from the seller just in case something nefarious is going on. A legitimate dealer would usually check these matters before buying and selling a car.

That's the strange part, on the insurance after entering the licence plate of the car it shows as Audi A3 SE 8V 2005, 1595cc. Does this mean that the DVLA made a mistake?  

Mario

Sorry to be a bad-Newser.........D.V.L.A make mistakes for sure but on both trim and engine size ?

really ?

Take it back and get your money back.....it's a Lemon

Yes sometimes cars are pre-registered by dealers too petend that they have been sold when they are really on forecourts purely  to keep the manufacturer happy

So D.V.L.A might have it registered long before it was sold

However it sounds like an engine swap............check the engine number because you've only checked the body

My guess is at some time the engine has popped and been replaced from a 1.4 to a1.6............probably on the cheap from a breakers so uninsured if not declared

Huge fine and six points if not declared............even prison if you kill someone whilst driving

Contact D.V.L.A asap

Did you pay much ? and what mileage is it showing ?

Be aware if its stolen, cloned or a cut and shut you will lose your money and the vehicle

Good luck Bro

MM

Mario.

Whether we think it is a mistake by the DVLA or somebody else is no longer relevant. The time for discussion has passed. You have revealed a discrepancy in the records relating to your car, so if you are to have any chance of retaining it you need to take action. You can put things right yourself with the DVLA or you can return the car and let the seller do all the work. If the seller refuses any responsibility then it might be time to consider legal or even police involvement. 

Thank very much for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

To conclude I called Audi , it has been confirmed by Audi that is 1.6 Sportback and been told that DVLA can ring them to clarify. DVLA advised to send back the V5 (include correct information) and attach a CL. 

Kind regards,

Mario

Hello Mario,

Very pleased this has been sorted.

I've been 'off air' for a few days, but reading through the posts, my view was that the answer rested with making a simple contact with Audi. Glad it worked out for you. 

Probably being rather critical, but I'm not sure whether assumptions ( once interpreted as 'making an !Removed! of you and me') - such as cut and shut etc. is very useful, since assumptions are all they are, and help and progress can only be made by studying known fact, or making suggestions of how to obtain fact. Still....

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Easy to be smart after the event eh Gareth ?

Mario, I'm so pleased you followed all the advice to contact DVLA.........don't forget to notify your insurance company and breakdown cover if you have it as they will leave you high and dry if they think they can avoid a valid claim

Enjoy it Mate its a quality motor

Tony

Not quite sure what your opening comment is meant to imply Tony, in terms of my earlier ( postive and supportive I think) responses to Mario. 

Contacting the DVLA is fine and positive, but they will not amend critical V5 data without supporting evidence that the currently held data is incorrect. Personally, I think that is only fair and reasonable, and I'm sure Mario will now be able to collect the data he requires to resolve this. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.