Manufacture Fault - defective timing chain / tensioner

DaveW1946

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, DaveW1946 said:

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.

It'll be interesting to see how this lawsuit goes David. 

It sure will Steve, but I don’t think we should “hold our breath” unfortunately. My granddaughter’s affected car is an Audi A3 Sport 197 TFSi 2008 1984cc, it’s vin identifies the engine brand, size and type as ZZZ8P and I believe it to be within the scope of the lawsuit. It’s a real shame for her as she loves the car and hasn’t the kind of funds available to fix it.

• 8 months later...

I’ve just had this happen with my 2010 Audi Q5... 94k... did you have any luck?! I haven’t had it in to Audi yet but guessing it’s the same common issue. Will see what they say re lawsuits. They were very good with my A5 - a whole engine rebuild as “ goodwill” for the faulty piston rings issue. 

• 5 months later...

Hi DaveW1946 or others involved,

I have experienced the exact same as what has been described in this thread on my Audi A3 1.8 2010.

I too have found evidence on court cases in other countries ,

Is there any update on anything from the uk ?

Has anyone taken audi uk to court over this ? 

My car had an engine rebuild last year (pistons) timing chain removed and deemed fit to reuse at 77000 miles, now engine failure at 88,000 miles due to timing chain surely i must have a leg to stand on ?????

Hello Mathew,

Sorry to hear of your issue. 

I would say that the route to claim would need to be through the ‘engine reconditioners’ rather than through Audi themselves. If the reconditioners were an Audi dealership, or the work was carried out on behalf of such a dealership, then that would certainly aid your claim. 

You say ‘....last year...’. Was that within the last 12 months?

If so, there shouldn’t be any issue about claiming since the reasonable guarantee period is usually taken as 12 months. 

More than 12 months ago?

Even so, the reasonable life expectancy of a reconditioned engine should be in excess of your covered 11,000 miles ( subject to evidence of expected oil and filter change). 

Why not take advice from CAB regarding making a a claim at the ‘Small Claims Court’ ( or whatever it is called now)? 

I’m sure it would be useful for the forum to know where and how you go forward from here.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi thanks for the reply 

Audi had my timing chain off and engine in bits last august. And now engine failure 11,000 miles on.

They are telling me the stretched chain is not related to previous work and the chain was fine when removed.

Have any cases in the uk been settled by the timing chain class action settlement  ? 

No Mathew.

My advice is based on what I would do if I was in your situation, and OK, it’s my logic, but I think it is a reasonable path to go down, and more often than not it’s not a bad thing to plough your own furrow, rather than getting someone to plough it for you.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 year later...

My Partners A3 was involved in an accident with a Deer...While being repaired some idiot decided to take it out and rag it, resulted in a full engine rebuild and as my partner worked at Listers head office at the time it was taken there and the engine rebuilt...so we got a 5 year warranty with it.

Its twice been back with failed tensioners......Audi UK know all about this issue but haven't held their hands up