Audi A3 8L 3 door electic window problem

Paulm81

Hi all, i own a 2002 3 door A3 (8L) 1.9tdi sport (fwd),

the problem is with my 2 front windows, they go down fine but do not return to the top? To close windows properly its a two man job lol, one on the switch other hands on either sude helping the glass back up, i do not let the windows open fully as don’t go back up.

please any help or advice appreciated 

Hello Paul,

Possibly will be considered a cheap bodge, but it could be worth spraying some WD40 or similar ( I now used GT85) down the felt window runners - front and back. Partly lower the window before squirting. It might well cure it or it might ease the problem. These window mechanisms are designed to stop closing if there is a restriction, and the restriction may be aggravated by tight runners. If it doesn't work then its doors cards off and see what is going on and if lubrication there might help.

Kind regards,

Gareth, 

• Thanks 1

I have tried wd40 loads with no affect? I have taken both door cards off and tried greasing the runner the plastic bit runs on and still no affect?

window goes up ever so little then returns to the bottom? But if you open the door place hands on either side of the glass and help it as someone else works the switch the window will close? 

Not sure if anything is adjustable as 1st Audi i have owned any help is appreciated 

Since both front windows are similarly affected, are there any logical answers to these questions:- 

Is it likely that both regulators or both motors are at fault.

If this is indeed unlikely, is there any - perhaps electrical - component which is common to both window? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Has the actual voltage at the motors been checked? 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if changing these plastic parts would resolve the windows going up problem?

As i have said if i open the door and put each hand on either side of the window and help the glass up as someone else works the switch it closes fine?

If the window goes all the way down I need to strip the door card of and help window up from the bottom of the glass until I have enough at the top?

its as if the windows are out of line if anyone understands what i mean? Is there any adjustments available for the electric motor or the runners? As don’t think motors/ cables or switches have a fault?

Hello Paul,

Before moving into the mechanics of this, have you measured the actual voltage at the motors to check that they are receiving at least the 12v. as they should be? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul, 

Not easy to work on electric windows or anything electrical without a meter and a knowledge and experience of how to use.

I think that if this was mine, I would be investing in a hour of a trusted auto electrician's time to at least get an experienced diagnosis on this. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Thanks 1

I really wouldn't buy one and use it on a complex electrically controlled car if you are asking what to check and how. 

To repeat, the only sound advice I can give is to now put that money towards an hour of an auto electrician's time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.