Hello

Rossco

Just a quick post to say hi.

I've just picked up a 2006 3.0 V6 Diesel A4 S Line Cabby, still in the 'getting to know it' phase.

Having come from a 3.0 V6 petrol Jaguar S-Type, the differences are intriguing...

Hi,

Well obviously the A4 is quite a bit smaller than the Jag.
My Jag was a 2003 N/A 3.0 V6 Petrol with a Auto box. The A4, 2006 Turbo 3.0 V6 Diesel with Quattro & Manual box (and possibly chiped).
Whilst the Jag is heavier with the Auto box sapping power, the A4 certainly feels lighter and the Quattro system I imagine robs some power.
The way the deliver their power is starkly different, the Jag silky silky smooth delivery, no real 'shove in the back' but a relentlessness - the speedo just climbs with no real sense of the speed piling on.
The Audi, all boost. Nothing really happens until it comes on boost but when it does it pulls like a absolute train, pushes you back in the seat, and as a manual derv I must remember to change gear! 😁
But is the Audi faster than the Jag? - mmm I reckon thats closer than you'd think. The Audi 'feels' quicker but I think thats because its turbo'd. In a straight line I think the Jag would have it pegged, but show it a twisty B road and the Jag wont know which way the A4 went.
And the A4 is giving me roughly twice the MPG of the Jag.

What is interesting is the build quality. Everyone knows Audis are the benchmark for quality and yet the Jag feels like its made of pig iron and old moons compared to the Audi - the A4 almost feels 'flimsy' in comparison.
The Jag has 198k on it, the A4 165k - the A4 has a couple of rattles and squeeks - where as the Jag's only squeek is from the springs within the drivers seat. Also nearly all the regularly used switches in the A4 have the black worn off their leading edges - the Jag looks like new, with also less wear on the drivers bolster too. - I would put this down to the Jag being in a different class than the A4 when new, but not for the switch gear.

Hello Ross,

Thanks for the additional information. Interesting indeed. Everything has its pros and cons, and I guess the summary would indicate that the ideal would be a hybrid Jaguar/Audi!  It's always the same, and we tend to part with something on the basis of even fancying a change, and then we understandably compare the two. 

My particular interest was that we have the 3ltr V6 Jaguar, and generally I agree with your comments. Perhaps we have the bonus that our XJ has the all aluminium body, and the body weight is said to be no more that that of the contemporary Yaris (certainly much lighter than the S Type), so this is indeed a smooth, no drama speed increasing saloon. 

Your comments are interesting too in relation to build quality. A bit surprising about switches etc. on the Audi, since we have had an A3 in in the family since new in 2006 and I must say the interior and fittings have remained in great shape - current mileage 148k. Back to the Jaguars (apologies just rembered this is an Audi forum!) Build and fitting quality compared with the current series? Chalk and cheese as I see it, with now flimsy Poundland window switches etc. Still, that's origress for you.

Enjoy the Audi Ross,

Kind regards,

Gareth,