Cam belt change

Teekay

Hi, 

I have recently brought a 2010 Audi A6 Le Mans 170 diesel 2.0 tdi. The was no service history with the car so I don't know if the cam belt has been changed. The mileage is 128k, I have done the big service, replaced all pad and rear discs. The car is running smoothly but I don't know of I should replace the cam belt. 

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks 

Teekay

Hi Envy, 

I have recently purchased my vehicle and it has no service history. I have contacted audi dealership who only have record upto 2012. Is there any way possible for me to find out when it was replaced. 

Unless you have a raft of paperwork from who maintained the car since Audi lost sight of it or the previous owner left a load of receipts in a folder with the car then I would say no. Maybe if you locate where the previous owner lived and then look up Audi independents in the area you may find out something there (if they keep records).

With your car being 2010 model and the trail going cold in 2012 I would suspect that the previous owner could not qualify the cost of Audi FSH one the 3 year warranty was up. 

Hello Tariq,

First things first - and I don't  know the answer with your particular engine -  but is this a belt or chain driven camshaft assembly? 

I'm sure someone will come along with clarification on this.

Of course, a call to an Audi parts dept. ( make sure you speak with parts section and have reg. and VIN details available) will provide the bullet proof answer, and this would be my first port of call. 

let us know the outcome. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, 

I will contact Audi and come back to the forum for advice from you and the rest of the team. Also, I have had the major service and my car is still averaging between 20mpg-25mpg. Any advice on this? 

Look forward to your reply. 

Best Regards 

Tariq 

Hi Gareth, 

I have contacted my local audi dealership who have stated that the engine is a cam belt. I have asked them on advice as my vehicle is giving me 20mpg-25mpg and they have said it sounds about right for local driving but to me it sounds like it is consuming too much fuel. Currently I am getting 30-35 miles to £10.

• 1 month later...

What would you recommend I do? I have just used stanadyne performance formula and have had a slight increase (I think). I have replaced brakes and disks, cambelt change and had the big service. I don't think brakes are dragging, but how can I check if they are? Also, what is VCDS, as I have seen this in other posts. I live in birmingham and if there is anything you can recommend with a trusted garage, please advise.