Trouble finding correct size S-line rear springs!!

tumble220

Hello. Has anyone ever had trouble buying rear springs for an 2008 Audi A4 S-line 2.0 TDi?. I work in a a garage and all the springs listed for this model from our motor factors are the wrong size. I just cannot seem to find the right ones anywhere. The measurements listed for the car are approx 290mm in height and approx 135mm width across the middle. The ones i have on the car which look original (with grey and blue paint dots) are approx 250mm height and approx 115mm wide. The bigger ones will not sit right and hit against one of the arms. If anyone has had this problem and know the spring i need, i would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. Gary.

Hello Gary from the Homeland,

I think the answer lies with your Audi main dealer via. the VIN for the car, rather than on here, where it's highly unlikely that anyone would have had a tape measure on their their springs in recent memory. 

OK, motor factors are generally cheaper, but as you will know from more experience than I, their listings can be wrong, and much time is spent on trying to fit these wrong components.

Sometimes it must be cheaper time-wise to just buy from the main dealer at your trade discount. I'm sure Mr. Sinclair's boys will give you the right answer and parts. 

Good luck with this.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth. Thanks for advice. I phoned Swansea Trade Parts and they say they have got them. About £80 each. Hopefully these ones will be the right ones. I'll let you know. Cheers. Gary.

• Like 1

Sorry to contradict Piotr, but why should these new springs compress within one month?  They are designed to take the maximum recommended loads over a period of years of service, and unless they are constantly highly loaded, will remain substantially as they are for a long time. 

By your logic, if you measure the ride heights of all - say demonstrator Audis on the forecourt , they will ride lower than the ones just driven into the showroom. Um?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Sorry to contradict Piotr, but why should these new springs compress within one month?  They are designed to take the maximum recommended loads over a period of years of service, and unless they are constantly highly loaded, will remain substantially as they are for a long time. 

By your logic, if you measure the ride heights of all - say demonstrator Audis on the forecourt , they will ride lower than the ones just driven into the showroom. Um?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I fitted new springs a month ago . They will do down a bit after a month or so

And showroom or not they have the weight of the car on them so the hight will be diffrent when you mesure the spring with and without load on them 

By logic things go down with age ... 😂

Completely agree with the different slant on it Piotr.

The 'free' length of the new spring before fitting will obviously be longer than its compressed (car weight on it) length when fitted - as you are now saying. 

Then it will largely stay the same, and drop only under increased load. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.