Extremely heavy steering B8 58 Plate

GavMc P11GT

Before I start I’ve searched the net and my eyes are tired of reading pages and pages of the same stuff I cannot find anyone who’s got the same issue as me and found a solution that doesn’t include upgrading to servotronic. 

So my car has always had heavy steering and I’ve put it down to being an S-line however if on a scale of 1-10 1 being a fiat punto with the city button and 10 being no pas fitted I’d say my rates around 8

so ya can’t turn the wheel without the engine on and when you put it on clearly the pas works to a degree cause ya can turn the whee on the spot but even at low speed it’s stiff as f**k it’s starting to get on my nerves now so much so I’m debating selling the car which I really don’t wanna do! 

It has 1N1 powersteering without servotronic I’ve checked the fluid and it’s where it needs to be however I will say it has the consistency of brake fluid and is the same colour but doesn’t smell the same it’s very clear/clean the fluid it seem there no contamination. 

Does that sound right am I being over the top about my heavy steering?

where would you go from here? I’ve been pricing new pumps but don’t wanna buy one to find the streering is as it should be but also could it be a rack oil change? Or worse a new rack?

your help would be massively appreciated I’ve driven for 20yr had old novas Peugeot’s and Renaults but by far this Audi has the heaviest steering of them all I used to drive busses and I kid you not some of those were easier to drive!

Hi Gav since you already done the net search i would consider a trusted local garage to have a look and see what they recommend it could be as cheap as a fluid change or air blockage causing it or like you say an expensive rack change at least this way you have professional advice   

To be honest I don’t like putting it into garages as I’m more than capable of doing the work myself! 

I suspect the pump isn’t working to its potential however I’d like feedback from other owners with the 1N1 rack.

No leaks nor nothing obvious to be honest im gonna change the fluid and depending on cost the pump to see if that makes a difference! I just want someone to comment wether this is normal on an A4 I wonder how many use this forum? I’m thinking with the rise of Facebook groups forums have died!

Just a suggestion but have you checked the fuse hasn't gone? I tried changing some interior lights a couple of months back and the following morning went to drive off and my steering weighed a ton (also aircon and horn strangely) changed one fuse (forget which one, sorry) and hey presto all working fine again. My A4 09 sline back to light as feather. I had Halfords telling me it was gonna be the pump. 

I never considered a fuse although all the electronics appear to be working fine I’ll check the fuses tomorrow Do both types of steering have a fuse? I drove an A5 tonight it was older than my car and had bigger wheels and it’s pas was great! But that had the 1N3 steering so I’m guessing that’s servotronic 🙈

45 minutes ago, TB gone speedy said:

Just a suggestion but have you checked the fuse hasn't gone? I tried changing some interior lights a couple of months back and the following morning went to drive off and my steering weighed a ton (also aircon and horn strangely) changed one fuse (forget which one, sorry) and hey presto all working fine again. My A4 09 sline back to light as feather. I had Halfords telling me it was gonna be the pump. 

Is your car 1N1?