Intermittent Number Plate Warning (Dash)

Kris-K

Guy's, I'm new here (so apologies if this has been mentioned before), but I need some advice. A few months ago (whilst driving home) a 'number plate warning' message flashed up on the dash (nothing wrong with that, I just naturally assumed that one of the torpedo bulbs had blown). Once home (and the warning still on the dash) I checked the number plate lamps and to my surprise, both were working. After a little searching on the interwebs, a number of Audi owners said this could be a resistance issue, and that changing both number plate bulbs would correct this. So I change both bulbs, but this didn't make any difference, in fact, it's got a little worse, as now as I drive home with my lights on, I get the 'number plate warning' flash up on the dash (along with the audio beep) then it clears for a short period, then the warning is re-raised (and so it continues). I've removed the bulb holders and cleaned all of the connections, but I cannot get this warning to stop (at no point during this do the lamps go out), I'm guessing this is an earth issue (but I really have no idea). Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Many thanks

/Chris

Hello Chris,

I wouldn't claim that this is the cause in your case, but such issues can result from problems with the wiring harness as it passes from the body into the boot/hatchback. Problems arise since with continued opening and closing, the wires within this flexible section of the harness become hard and brittle and eventually lead to intermittent contact problems.

Kind regards,

Gareth.