Audi Newbie

Gilston134

Hi All,

I am due to pick up my new Audi A3 Sportback 1.5TFSI Black edition S Tronic on Friday. I opted for the Audi Virtual Cockpit as an optional extra and was looking for advice/reviews from people who have or have experienced a similar car. I previously had a 2016 VW Scirocco Black edition 1.4TSI and i absolutely loved it, i thought it was quite nippy after coming from a 1.2 VW polo. I got a really good deal from Preston Audi which was too good to refuse hence me changing over to an Audi. I am just curious about a few things so any help will be much appreciated..

has anyone got any comments about the 1.5TFSI engine?

i have read other threads on here and everyone seems to be having problems which is slightly worrying.

I have also never had an Automatic car so does anyone have any comments with the S Tronic?

Have i just wasted money by getting the Audi Cockpit?

Thanks in Advance

Ryan

1 hour ago, Gilston134 said:

Hi All,

I am due to pick up my new Audi A3 Sportback 1.5TFSI Black edition S Tronic on Friday. I opted for the Audi Virtual Cockpit as an optional extra and was looking for advice/reviews from people who have or have experienced a similar car. I previously had a 2016 VW Scirocco Black edition 1.4TSI and i absolutely loved it, i thought it was quite nippy after coming from a 1.2 VW polo. I got a really good deal from Preston Audi which was too good to refuse hence me changing over to an Audi. I am just curious about a few things so any help will be much appreciated..

has anyone got any comments about the 1.5TFSI engine?

i have read other threads on here and everyone seems to be having problems which is slightly worrying.

I have also never had an Automatic car so does anyone have any comments with the S Tronic?

Have i just wasted money by getting the Audi Cockpit?

Thanks in Advance

Ryan

Hi Ryan

I can help on only one of your three queries.

I have the 1.4TFSI  engine, which has performed perfectly, and I'm apprehensive about the 1.5 unit, having read numerous complaints from owners.

I don't have the Audi Cockpit option.

However, I've been very pleased with the S Tronic gearbox, and can wholeheartedly recommend it. Before I bought the car, I'd read in reviews that the gearbox could be jerky at low speeds, but that's not been my experience at all. Maybe it's down to how you drive it....

Hope you get answers to your other two questions; sorry I couldn't help with those.

I've also seen negative responses on here regarding the 1.5tfsi - would be lying if i said i'm a bit put off..

Thanks for your response regarding the S-Tronic. I am looking forward to trying it out properly! did you get any nice gifts at the handover?

3 minutes ago, Gilston134 said:

I've also seen negative responses on here regarding the 1.5tfsi - would be lying if i said i'm a bit put off..

Thanks for your response regarding the S-Tronic. I am looking forward to trying it out properly! did you get any nice gifts at the handover?

I don't remember getting anything special - a lot of coffee while I was waiting, and a bottle of water for the journey home is about all they gave me! I got it on a lease, and I got the price right down, so maybe there was no room for goodies. To save a 6 month wait for the spec I wanted, I agreed to a different colour and a couple of extras so I'd have the car through the summer of last year (a brand new cabrio arriving in November didn't appeal too much!). The folding mirrors are quite useful, but I didn't particularly want the heated seats.

I'm now in a position where I might have to make a decision soon on what car to order for next April, assuming A3 Cabrios are still subject to a waiting list. I've thought about the 2.0 litre version, but the performance isn't significantly better than the 1.4, while the fuel economy is much worse.

I also note that the 1.5 TFSI is now being called 35 TFSI instead; whether that indicates a revised engine , or just a marketing ploy, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan

Hope you are enjoying your new car.

When I got mine I tried different settings with the gearbox and drive select to see what worked best.

The virtual cockpit is great. There is more options to the sat nav with this option. You can plan journeys on your smartphone before you leave and the send the details to the car. You can search for things easily from the car - car parks, petrol stations etc. The Google Earth maps are a bit complicated though. I normally have full size speedo and rev counter with the map in the centre. It gives you warning of traffic queues and roadworks. If you are using the sat nav it gives the next direction in the speedo. If you are in town or near a complex junction you can easily switch to the full screen for more detail.

Hi guys i have a query I wasn’t too sure how to create a new post on here.

i have a Audi A6 and when I engage and dis engage the electronic handbrake it makes a buzzing noise I cant hear the noise when my windows are up but when they’re down it’s  faint but still noticeable is this normal or is there an issue.

thanks.

Hi Charlie

I think the buzzing noise is normal. The buzz will be the electric motors applying the parking brake. I think i used to notice it more on my Tiguan, so maybe they have developed quieter motors.

Hi Phil 

thanks for responding, I thought it might have been that but had to double check as most of the time when parking my windows are up so have only just noticed it with my windows down.

cheers buddy.