tyre choice

konaona

I'm with you on this Dan, but my fellow Welshman, Mike, ends with ..... 'without blowing the budget' - but we we don't know what the budget stretches to. 

I've followed your logic, but alway then shopped around for the best price for that brand and type. I feel by this means, the best of both worlds are satisfied. 

Again following your logic, we must not ignore VAG's buyers who will purchase premium brands at the best possible prices, and the whole thing will not depend solely on the 'handling'  abilities of the chosen brand.

Interestingly, Mercedes Benz appear to be currently supplying some new vehicles with Hankook tyres - now I always believed they were a mid range brand, so perhaps cost is king now! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Blinking heck Mike, you are closer to me than I thought.

OK, Celtic, very old established, but very seldom the most competative, if you want to respect your wallet.

When you get their price, try King David on the Waterton Estate - ask for Lee, or ETB on the Brynmenin Estate - James.

Bridgend Tyres ( Bridgend Ford) often have good prices.   

There are more - and no connection with any, apart from having bought with each of them with good deals on the decided make at the time.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. with all of them, look at their on-line prices before ringing. 

Hello Mike,

There is nothing wrong with loyalty, but it can, and very often does, come with a cost penalty, and I recall your original post which indicated a budget conscious approach. 

I think you will find that most, if not all, tyre retailer now have almost immediate access to any brand and type of your choice. The days of 40 years ago - which I well recall with my had-hair-then era! - when tyre companies carried a range of tyres they thought were popular, are now well behind us, and access to wholesale supplies on demand,  of what you want is the way it now works.  So the story unfolds :- you walk into any tyre retailer and ask what is the price of ...size... in Brand X and they will give you a price off the screen, and if you want them they will get them in the following, or even the same day, so price and service will dicate where you buy, rather than an 'apparent range in stock'. 

Having said all of that, I now find I shop around for best price at places where the service is good and polite - I am now fussy about who I give my money to! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 months later...

my car come with  stature Gripmax  255/45R20 105V winter tyre ? very good in the winter month but can be very noisy in the dry on motorways

what are the correct tyres that come on a Q5 ?

Is the Q5 a Quattro? I am assuming they all are. These behave best if you have matching tyres on all 4 corners, at a push at least keep the same brand on the two rears and then the same brand on the two fronts.

i am a massive fan of Uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres. I have them on the A6 and the VW T5. 

Hankooks are a good tyre too but are not one I would choose. I would never use Dunlop again. Worst tyre I have ever experienced in the wet.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I went with Bridgestone Turanza T005 on the fronts, will be replacing the rears in about 3 to 4 months. These replace the standard Pirellis, alternatively Dunlop Sports were on offer; having had DS before i knew the grip was good but the compound was far softer. Bridgestone offered less road noise, better grip and better fuel efficiency plus overall more reviews by owners appeared to support this.

Ideally i would have replaced all four but at £217 per tyre excl alignment / tracking etc it was a large bulk so went with the urgency (fronts) and rears in a little while (still 3mm) so no worries.

Hopefully this will help someone else on tyre choice 🙂