Service Schedule

BJL

Hi. New member here.

I've had my 67 plate A5 for a few months and it's now due for a service at 18.5k miles. The dealer I bought it from wants £450 for what he described as just an oil & filter change and a new pollen filter. 

I refuse to be ripped off to that extent so will be taking it to my local garage, which has served me well for the past 15 years (including servicing my previous A5). My problem is that I can't find out EXACTLY what has to be done on this service because Audi no longer provide that information in a service book. Apparently it's all in the "Digital Service Schedule" to which I don't have access. I need to ensure my garage carries out this sevice to the letter to ensure the warranty is not invalidated.

Can anyone tell me how I can obtain information on the full list of items to checked/changed on this (and subsequent) services?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hello Brian,

You are into a grey area with this still-under-warranty car, and I think it's a good thing that you questioning whether using your local garage is acceptable. As I see it 'in theory' you can use them- with the stipulation that they are a VAT registered garage, use main dealer parts, the absolutely correct specification oil, and service it according to the manufacturer's service schedule, and in the old days- stamp the service book. 

Potential problems as you are finding:- VAG (as with most other manufacturers) either do not produce a service schedule, or are reluctant to impart thus information. Generally no service book to stamp now, but the service details have to be entered onto the VAG system- does your garage have access to this? I doubt it. 

Now servicing under-warranty vehicles away from the main dealer may not be an issue until a warranty claim comes along, and you have to argue your corner that it's nothing to do with the servicing, or lack of it! Good place to be?? 

Final point:- a high % of car purchases are now under PCP leases, and the cars are obviously inspected at the end if the lease, and there can be instances of 'penalties' being applied where anything differs from the norm. 

Service costs at your dealer? Checked the cost at other main dealers? 

Others more directly involved with VAG franchises may obviously offer you different advice.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Many thanks for your reply, Gareth.

You make some very valid points which I need to consider carefully. However, it annoys me that it's illegal for a manufacturer to say a warranty is invalid just because a car hasn't been serviced at a franchised dealer, yet they won't provide the information needed to service it elsewhere! I suspect they would lose in court if this stance was challenged (not that I plan to do so!) and it surely can't be legal to invalidate a warranty if the servicing details are not on the VAG system.

As you suggest, I'll check out prices at other dealers but I'd still like to have the option of going elsewhere, so if anyone else can help with the service schedule for my car, I'd be grateful.

No Brian, I'm not saying ( and neither is VAG) that it is illegal for a manufacturer to say the warranty is invalid if ...............hasn't been serviced by a franchised dealer. What I am saying that - as with all manufacturers - there are understandably guideline to be followed for the warranty to apply. 

Courts and challenges? - that's why the guidelines apply, and I guess with all things, challenges can be made - at cost! 

All cars are bought new, and in the excitement of it all, the necessary servicing costs are either not discussed, or if they are, it could be 'oh yes, we'll come to that when the time comes'. When the time comes, unfortunately the costs are not to be sniffed at. 

I feel shopping around for best dealer costs may be the route to go down unless you fancy taking a chance and saving a little funds on this occasion.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Gareth.