Car Security (or lack of it)

Royleblue

There was an interesting documentary on ITV last night regarding how car crime is increasing. Although much of the increase is due to targeted burglaries where the keys are stolen, they also attributed the fact that many cars now have keyless entry and the availability of gadgets which can boost the signal from the key. The criminals are theoretically able to open and start the car while the key is still in te house.

One of the security features manufacturers have developed is a motion sensor in the key which controls the radio signal. They showed a Mercedes where the key was placed on the bonnet of the car. The doors would not unlock until the key was picked up. I have just tested this with my A3 key and got the same result. Who knew?

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/9/2018 at 12:24 PM, Royleblue said:

There was an interesting documentary on ITV last night regarding how car crime is increasing. Although much of the increase is due to targeted burglaries where the keys are stolen, they also attributed the fact that many cars now have keyless entry and the availability of gadgets which can boost the signal from the key. The criminals are theoretically able to open and start the car while the key is still in te house.

One of the security features manufacturers have developed is a motion sensor in the key which controls the radio signal. They showed a Mercedes where the key was placed on the bonnet of the car. The doors would not unlock until the key was picked up. I have just tested this with my A3 key and got the same result. Who knew?

Car crine is definitely on the increase but I think Ford are the worst for poor security as the keyless security is rubbish. I guess no different to their poor security back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. 

I have just gone old school and fitted the old yellow stoplock that fits throght the steering wheel, also not leaving key in front door anymore as I have seen they blow torch upvc doors and put hand through to get key to brake into house to steal car keys. 

Well Chris,

Ford? Those who were sensible enough to 'invest' in any classic Ford are now seeing their asset escalating in value beyond any expectation, while the modern Audi de - values as much as the rest of them. 

Skoda were always maligned by those trying to be comedians, but VAG decided to buy them, and from my working experience, Skoda took on board all the quality control recommendations of VW and quickly overtook them - all at a much cheaper price, so brand snobbery doesn't result in anyone becoming funny anymore.

Kind regards,

Gareth.