Cycle Paths/Lights

Slooth#1

Hey,

Could anyone tell me if their views on how bright bicycle lights can be? or is it a free for all?

I was driving home in the hours of darkness and was virtually blinded by a bike coming towards me, using a cycle path.

Now I want it both ways. Should it not be compulsory, if there is a cycle path for bikes to use them? Near where I stay the council(Tax payers) has spent thousands £s building a cycle path/foot path but cyclists still use the,at times, very busy road.My friend is one of them and says he'd rather dice with traffic than dodge joggers and dog walkers!!

• 3 months later...

To be honest, cycling on the cycle path would always be the safer option, but in most cases there unfortunately isn't a cycle path, and I think you can receive a penalty for cycling on the pavement (don't hold me to that). 

Having said that, I do still find cyclists on the roads really annoying most of the time. There should definitely be some sort of limit on how bright a cyclist's lights can be though, because if they're dazzling you then they're just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than they would be with no lights at all.