Fresh Tyres

Scott1906

Hello boys and girls. Looking for a fresh couple of wheels for the ol' girl. I've had a browse on a few other car forums to see where other people are buying from, and I saw a little something about ASDA tyres so I thought I'd have a look myself. I was shown these tyres from typing in my reg: https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/245-30-20?range=premium

Now obviously I'll be looking for something in the premium price bracket, no questions asked. I was leaning towards the Pirelli P Zero245/30R20 90Ys, but before I make a buying decision I thought I'd ask for you fellas' opinions. Any advice on these/better tyres elsewhere on the internet? Looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with in response to this. 

14 hours ago, Neil Dickinsin said:

I wouldn't fit P Zeros, I run goodyear f3, but next set of rubber will be Michelin pilot sport 4s.

Hey mate, thanks for the response. Michelin Pilot Sport 4s look good too, I've heard from a friend that they're excellent quality, not to mention the rave reviews on them. What's your take on the Goodyears you currently run? Do you mean the f1 asymmetric 3s? They seem to have excellent wet grip and dry grip from what I've seen doing a quick Google search just now. 

I choose these over the michalin for tyre noise only 68db, I also run tyres at 4-5psi higher then audi recomends 70psi back and 45 front (drivers door panel) as they felt a bit like jelly when driving hard, they seen alot better with higher pressure or it may be me expecting to much from them? (My tyres are 255/35/20) This is why I am going to try michalin next time. The wet grip is very good and a nice positive road feel, no tramlining as I had with the P Zeros. Also had 4 wheel tracking checked and corrected at ProTyre Fareham - very good, this stopped the front outsides scuffing that you get and the issue with rear tread edge scuffs across the tyre width. when you run flat palm over tread you can feel the tread edges a symptom of this when bad is it sound like a wheel bearnig is on its way out. 

2 hours ago, Neil Dickinsin said:

I choose these over the michalin for tyre noise only 68db, I also run tyres at 4-5psi higher then audi recomends 70psi back and 45 front (drivers door panel) as they felt a bit like jelly when driving hard, they seen alot better with higher pressure or it may be me expecting to much from them? (My tyres are 255/35/20) This is why I am going to try michalin next time. The wet grip is very good and a nice positive road feel, no tramlining as I had with the P Zeros. Also had 4 wheel tracking checked and corrected at ProTyre Fareham - very good, this stopped the front outsides scuffing that you get and the issue with rear tread edge scuffs across the tyre width. when you run flat palm over tread you can feel the tread edges a symptom of this when bad is it sound like a wheel bearnig is on its way out. 

With the higher pressure, do you see an improvement in fuel economy? They *sound* like pretty good tyres to me anyway. The tramlining with the P Zeros sound a little bit annoying, not something you want when going at high speeds. I'll also be paying for wheel tracking when I get my next set of tyres too, I think. Need to make sure the wheels are aligned as they should be! Thanks for the response anyway matey, I'll take your words into account in buying some new rubber. 

Hello Scott,

Not wanting to interfere, but are your current tyres showing evidence of irregular wear? If not, personally, I would not contemplate any adjustment to the car's wheel alignment. 

If they are wearing irregularly then carefully consider who you are going to allow to fiddle with Audi's set up. 

Modern wheel alignment checking equipment is very complex and accurate. There is no doubt about that. Every tyre fitter's ability to use it correctly?? Their ability to detect minor wear in steering and suspension components which can result in out of alignment - rather than just attempting to reset the alignment?? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 11/30/2018 at 8:16 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Scott,

Not wanting to interfere, but are your current tyres showing evidence of irregular wear? If not, personally, I would not contemplate any adjustment to the car's wheel alignment. 

If they are wearing irregularly then carefully consider who you are going to allow to fiddle with Audi's set up. 

Modern wheel alignment checking equipment is very complex and accurate. There is no doubt about that. Every tyre fitter's ability to use it correctly?? Their ability to detect minor wear in steering and suspension components which can result in out of alignment - rather than just attempting to reset the alignment?? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

Cheers for the reply. I hopefully shouldn't actually need wheel alignment, however I do want to check that my wheels are properly aligned as they should be. 

I don't really have any irregular wear, however I do think it's worth checking just to see everything's okay. If not then of course I'll pay for tracking. Very unlikely scenario, though.

And don't you worry, I only use a trusted garage I've been going back to for years.