Steering Fault.

Gaz
聽Share

Hi,

I have a 2012 A4 Avant s line black edition with 71k on the clock. Recently a steering fault appeared on the dash saying steering fault, Ok to drive. The steering is heavy. I took it to my local garage and they said the steering control unit was faulty according to diagnostics and would need to go into to Audi. They also said their was a fault with the brakes but didn't go into depth. I drove it on Saturday and noticed that the brakes were sticking and further inspection the front offside wheel station was extremely hot making me think the caliper is stuck. I have spoke with an AA team leader an ex Audi tech an he said the brakes binding could of thrown up a steering fault code due to the imbalance. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar as I aware I can cost in excess ok 拢2k for a new steering rack and I haven't even owned the car for a year. Apologises for the long post but really hoping this is a caliper fault and nothing more. Cheers! 馃憤馃徎

• 4 months later...

Sort the easy thing first. Ie get that caliper done asap. Then see if that sorts the steering fault.

Any reasonable garage can service a brake caliper. Probably be worth getting both fronts done at the same time. If you have an idea what you're doing and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could probably DIY

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 7:00 PM, Gaz said:

Hi,

I have a 2012 A4 Avant s line black edition with 71k on the clock. Recently a steering fault appeared on the dash saying steering fault, Ok to drive. The steering is heavy. I took it to my local garage and they said the steering control unit was faulty according to diagnostics and would need to go into to Audi. They also said their was a fault with the brakes but didn't go into depth. I drove it on Saturday and noticed that the brakes were sticking and further inspection the front offside wheel station was extremely hot making me think the caliper is stuck. I have spoke with an AA team leader an ex Audi tech an he said the brakes binding could of thrown up a steering fault code due to the imbalance. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar as I aware I can cost in excess ok 拢2k for a new steering rack and I haven't even owned the car for a year. Apologises for the long post but really hoping this is a caliper fault and nothing more. Cheers! 馃憤馃徎

did you sort your steering problem as ive just had the same diagnosed on a 2012 A6 with only 66k on the clock and been quoted 拢2,200 to replace the steering rack