Audi A2 1.4 TDI power loss /safe/limp mode

Jockybo

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased an Audi A 2 1.4 TDI SE 2002 GD52HBE. 104000 miles full service history (Mint). Paid £3000 as the car was immaculate.

Just after purchase i experienced power loss in 3 rd gear. Thought turbo had gone so parked up called AA. They attended (very helpful) fault code 1-69U/Diesel EDC15P462C boost pressure control. He thought it might be EGR valve. Carried out engine test exhaust gas recirculation port loss of power and said possible jammed EGR valve so actuated to clean via diagnostics. He stated they get stuck so he manually opened it up and it seemed fine. Following day it happened again. Put in into garage EGR valve checked and cleaned. Tested with vacuum and found to be fine. Thought it may be throttle body but no fault codes apparent. It does reset itself if i turn engine on and off. However i have discovered the issue seems to occur just under 3000 revs in third and which point i have to reset. All hoses checked EGR valve checked no fault codes present. Any idea suggestions.

Was going to change throttle body but done want to waste money if there is no need. Gutted really as always wanted an A 2 and thought i had got a real corker. The history is amazing just hoping its a glitch. Any advice much appreciated.

Jockybo@yahoo.com

Does the actuator rod controlling the variable vanes of the turbo move freely and for the full length of its travel? This can be tested by disconnecting the thin hose which operates the actuator rod and connecting it to a vacuum pump. If it only moves slightly or not at all then the variable vanes in your turbo are more than likely stuck or gummed up. Less likely could be the diaphragm has failed in the control valve operating the actuator rod. If it's the variable vanes then your turbo needs exchanging or overhauling.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Can I please ask if you have resolved this and how much did you pay to check the EGR ?

I may potentially have to check it as well.

Thanks

Rad