Rear wiper motor failure

cliffcoggin

I suffered what seems to be a common fault last week when the rear wiper motor erratically operated without being turned on, and then stopped completely. It turned out to be caused by blocked washer jets which blew out the seals and allowed water into the motor. (The water pipe runs inside the motor spindle.) Fortunately I was recommended to try an independent VAG repairer who not only fitted a new motor in one day but only charged a shade over £200 - a lot cheaper than a Audi main dealer.

The moral of the story is to keep washer jets clear.

Edited by cliffcoggin
Missing word
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/19/2018 at 9:44 PM, cliffcoggin said:

I suffered what seems to be a common fault last week when the rear wiper motor erratically operated without being turned on, and then stopped completely. It turned out to be caused by blocked washer jets which blew out the seals and allowed water into the motor. (The water pipe runs inside the motor spindle.) Fortunately I was recommended to try an independent VAG repairer who not only fitted a new motor in one day but only charged a shade over £200 - a lot cheaper than a Audi main dealer.

The moral of the story is to keep washer jets clear.

I had the same issue so I've removed the fuse to stop it randomly wiping the window and going to buy the wiper  delete kit for £10 I always wipe rear window with a squigee anyway and put the rear window heater on any way and looks good with out the wiper 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I suffered the same issue. I think we can never keep away from that problem.

I removed the wiper motor by removing the plastic trim covering the area first (just undo the two screws inside the both handles that could not be seen unless you bend over) and then by pulling the trim backwards. You can easily remove the motor by undoing the three 10 mm nuts, motor connector and thin water hose, after removing the 13 mm nut under the wiper arm. Remember that you should gently remove the plastic cover to see the 13 mm nut under the cover. Remember to wiggle the wiper arm to get the motor assembly from the tailgate.

Place the wiper on the bench. Remove the electric motor from the wiper section in which the gear placed. And, undo the 6 torx screws from the wiper section. You will see water, rust and contaminated grease remains inside other than a worm gear, a gear, and an arm that moving the wiper. Clean everything and lubricate using a thin grease and then reassemble everything. 

It is not complicated job and after fixing the wiper motor, I have been using it for almost two months and had no problem with that. 

Good luck...

WIPER1.jpg

WIPER2.jpg

WIPER3.jpg

WIPER4.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, S line 2006 said:

Hi,

I removed the wiper motor by removing the plastic trim covering the area first (just undo the two screws inside the both handles that could not be seen unless you bend over) and then by pulling the trim backwards. You can easily remove the motor by undoing the three 10 mm nuts, motor connector and thin water hose, after removing the 13 mm nut under the wiper arm. Remember that you should gently remove the plastic cover to see the 13 mm nut under the cover. Remember to wiggle the wiper arm to get the motor assembly from the tailgate.

Place the wiper on the bench. Remove the electric motor from the wiper section in which the gear placed. And, undo the 6 torx screws from the wiper section. You will see water, rust and contaminated grease remains inside other than a worm gear, a gear, and an arm that moving the wiper. Clean everything and lubricate using a thin grease and then reassemble everything. 

It is not complicated job and after fixing the wiper motor, I have been using it for almost two months and had no problem with that. 

Good luck...

WIPER1.jpg

WIPER2.jpg

WIPER3.jpg

WIPER4.jpg

Agreed, that's a great bit of info 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, S line 2006 said:

Hi,

I removed the wiper motor by removing the plastic trim covering the area first.......

Good advice, thanks. Suffered the same problem with my 2012 A6 Avant. Did as you suggested (getting the trim off was the hardest part - 4 screws to remove before springing off the clips), the motor looked in my the same state. Cleaned it all out and re-greased it. Couldn't really see how the water connection on the back plate could fail to leak inside - anyway I put loads of grease around the end of the spindle there so perhaps that will help. Delighted that it seems to work normally now - saved a bundle of money.

Incidentally there seem to be a lot of new motors available online for £35-£40, fitting many Audi models but not the A6 from 2012 onwards. The units in the photos look exactly the same as mine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have an Audi A6 2010 avant.

I have always had problems with this.  Recently water in boot plus making rear tailgate lid open light come on + setting alarm due to corroding terminals from water dripping from rear washer inside tailgate lid..

I took off the avant rear lid plastic (which is not easy see YouTube for some help)  found the pipe and motor flanges were leaking.  I replaced, the motor the water jets and reassembled.  It continued to do the same thing!!   I removed the plastic connector from pipe to motor and attached direct firmly.  That stopped that leak but then leaked through motor flange.  Drip drip speed.   New washer motor from eBay did same thing!

I then took the old motor apart and witnessed same images as above!!  What  chronic poor design!!   After years of making these cars you would think Audi would fix this design flaw!   I have had rear washer problems from new with this car for 10 years.

so I am now going to try to fix by putting PTFE tape around the small end shaft as well as grease  it well

who said German cars are engineered so well?  This is clearly a water tailgate scandal !!  Why they could not have washer water come from above on tailgate and not through the motor as in V W golf and range rovers.  They do not block that way either.  That would have made the A6 the perfect car as it’s the only problem I have had with it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody tried the aftermarket wiper motor off eBay? I have the issue of the wiper arm being too floppy and going into the paint work, it’s the gearing inside that’s worn and need a new motor - I’ve adjusted the arm as much as I can but no luck.

I previously had to strip down my motor like ^^ to clean out the rust and gunk

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like OE to be honest depending on year I'd try one from a breakers. My local one charges about a tenner for them. 

Tbh I deleted mine and I haven't missed it. I see quite a few around with arms dropped onto bodywork or stuck up blocking your view

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a similar problem with my wiper but the motor is still working by the sounds of it but the spindle isn't moving? Do you think it would easier to just replace the motor altogether if this case or attempt to disassemble and see if there is anything noticeably wrong that could be fixed? I knew the wiper arm needed replacing as the bottom where the bolt attaches to the spindle had snapped but my mechanic manage to temp fix. But now I have removed the arm and thought to see if the spindle moved and I can just hear the motor and the spindle stays still? I wonder if I had the same issue in regards to the leak as a while back I was having an issue where my car alarm would randomly go off constantly at the most inconvenient of times and when I read some forums they said that rain could leak through the boot seals where the lock mechanism is and causing a short or something of that sort? Any help would be massively appreciated 🙏🏻 👍🏻 

23 minutes ago, RMAudi said:

Hi, I have a similar problem with my wiper but the motor is still working by the sounds of it but the spindle isn't moving? Do you think it would easier to just replace the motor altogether if this case or attempt to disassemble and see if there is anything noticeably wrong that could be fixed? I knew the wiper arm needed replacing as the bottom where the bolt attaches to the spindle had snapped but my mechanic manage to temp fix. But now I have removed the arm and thought to see if the spindle moved and I can just hear the motor and the spindle stays still? I wonder if I had the same issue in regards to the leak as a while back I was having an issue where my car alarm would randomly go off constantly at the most inconvenient of times and when I read some forums they said that rain could leak through the boot seals where the lock mechanism is and causing a short or something of that sort? Any help would be massively appreciated 🙏🏻 👍🏻 

Hi you are better off replacing the entire unit not to difficult, not to expensive, but make sure you buy a new rubber grommet as that deteriorates with age and give it a liberal coating of silicone grease when refitting grommet they tend to last longer, thats probably where your leak is.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:45 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi you are better off replacing the entire unit not to difficult, not to expensive, but make sure you buy a new rubber grommet as that deteriorates with age and give it a liberal coating of silicone grease when refitting grommet they tend to last longer, thats probably where your leak is.

Steve.

Sounds a lot easier to be honest, I will do that then. Thanks for the advice 🙏🏻 👍🏻 

Ryan

On 8/31/2023 at 5:21 PM, cliffcoggin said:

Even if it is possible to renew just the motor, you would still have the possible problems of damaged gears and leaky seals. Better to renew the whole unit.

Ye I think your right. I wasn't too sure of the price but after looking I can probably pick one up for £30 and its not a difficult fit so rather than mess about its probably easier to just go ahead and replace. Thanks for the advice 🙂👍🏻