My experience

Artiglio

Evening all, 

bought a 2.0 ultra avant sportline black edition, lots of toys, tech pack, nice wheels, dsg, panoramic roof. 39k when i got it, full audi fsh (ish), 

now had it 6months, it was 2 years 9months old when i got it.

Fuel economy over 9k, bears bo relation to the obc it reckons i’ve managed an average of nearly 50 mpg, having kept all fuel receipts its actually been 43mpg. Generally been very steady driving 70% A road or motorway.

DPF regens , the story that a good run each week is enpugh to keep things all clear is a bit optimistic, mine needs at least 2 50 mile runs a week to prevent the fan over runs when stopping. Even 20 miles of round town in short runs is enough to set it off.

A silly point, but the cupholders are in a daft position, much more convenient in my previous c5.

Now the big one, the panoramic roof has sprung a leak. Go on line and its a very common problem, what is arguably a poor design means water ends up draining into footwell. Audi have a “sunroof service” in the service book, but apparently don’t push it at when car is in for other work. One wy or another mine did’nt get one, so as its 3 months out of warranty audi say only solution is a new cassette and a 2k bill. There is apparently a diy fix worth trying, ( search, audi sunroof captain tolleys).

For what is a nice car, all rather disapointing. The lower than expected fuel economy ( when you do brim to brim calcs) extra mileage to keep dpf in good nick and likely future emissions eqpt costs, and sunroof makes it a disapointing buy. So anyone looking for similar, i’d suggest

NEVER even look at a panoramic roof , unless you’re getting the car for buttons

seriously consider a tfsi ( knowing what i know now, it’d be my choice)

tech pack is worth seeking out

there’s lots of choice out there , be picky and don’t be afraid to haggle

you need a perfect service history, dsg service is crucial.

ad blue is for me 10l every 5k. ( reading online the ad blue pump is another weak point in the car, but seems to be affecting car that are not driven so much)

not trying to tell anyone how to suck egss just my experience and opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Good day in light of the sticky a bit of an update seems in order,

Economy - I’ve now done 16k and the 43mpg seems to be the true number (having kept all fuel receipts) whilst not bad for the size of the car its no better than the previous C5, though i acknowledge the car has an extra 60bhp available i rarely use it.

Sunroof- following the wet footwell episode a bit od online research led me to, 

check the plenums , one looked as though it may have been clogged up and cleared when it got soaked, cleaned them both thoroughly

made sure the front sunroof drains were clear 

bought the grease and spray to service the roof myself ( £100 for both but enough to do the job probabbly 20 times), after doing the seals water now lies on them rather than draining away.

when cleaning the rails etc i could see no evidence that the frame had cracked.

No idea which if any of the above made any great difference but since there has been no water in the footwell, fingers crossed.

Gearbox - my first DSG and now i’m used to it and only use the economy mode on motorways ( in normal conditions its too hesitant and you’re never completely confident it’ll do what you want) quite happy with it , a very smooth relaxing drive , knock it into sport and more than enough for a bit of overtaking ( for me anyway).

Servicing , parts etc via audi are absurdly expensive even with the fixed price for over 3 year old cars. But oil and filter changes are simple diy jobs (fuel filter aside), so it’ll only be going to audi for cambelt and dsg in terms of normal servicing.

DPF is something else i’ve got used to and it seems my driving patterns now seem to suit it , not had a fan overrun on stopping or dashboard warning for over 7k, so maybe earlier issues were a result of ash loading from previous owner and i’ve burnt it off.

Only use premium fuel and by doing them myself oil changes every 8k.

Add blue consumption, car was about empty when i got it, added 30l since , 16k and counting to next refill.

Overall its a nice car to drive, being the avant swallows everything i throw in it, be a year of ownership in july. Still wish i’d been more aware and gone for a tfsi, and though my car came with what would have been 6.5k of extras, many are just toys and for a few grand more and a bit of patience i could have had an 18 plate tfsi with tech pack.

lastly tyres, its on 255/35/20 from records from last owner i’ll be getting around 19k from the fronts ( new p zero audi options going on next week to front) looking at rears they’ll probably give around 30k. So i’m happy with that,  but running on 18/19’ looks aside may be a better option.

• 9 months later...

Hello  from newbie, I bought an older 2013 model  a6 , I have to agree that fuel consumption is much poorer than I expected but I do like the car.

Audi dealer repairs are very  expensive  over £200 for rear pads to be fitted ! 

Also a couple of niggling electrical issues like heated mirror not working, passengers door not unlocking when key fob pressed etc , fan still running a long time after car has stopped....but might have to live with these faults if I can't find a good internet  site that sells used parts. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Tommy

Regarding the passenger doors not opening, it is probably not programmed to do so by your key. This can rectified in the MMI system. As to the fans running on it is a sign of the DPF regenerating. Run the car in sport mode for a few miles.

• 8 months later...

Regarding the add blue I think Artiglio is  spot on as many cars that do low miles seem to have issues causing crystallization of the add blue that effects the pump