ABS and brake warning light

bertha

HI, hope someone can help, just recently my A6 has sometimes, when starting from cold the ABS and brake warning light come on (not always) i have driven the car  because i've had no choice, but then when i've restarted the car they don't come back on, obviously this is a bit scary as it my brakes and looking around some websites i can only find out about if it they stay on all the time, i was wondering if anyone could help as some of the suggestions sound very expensive!

Hello Angela,

Always difficult to diagnose without examination, but this could be as simple as a dirty contact on a sensor on one of the wheels. Or possibly corrosion on one of the signal toothed rings etc. Someone more experienced than me with the capabilities of diagnostics, will confirm or otherwise that it would be possible to identify which wheel set up to investigate first.

If it were mine, I would be booking it in to a trusted local garage who can identify the problem for you. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for getting back to me, your probably right it could be something simple, its just as soon as i get a warning light come on i panic, especially if its something as important as brakes.

I will let you know what happens but i've also got the MOT to deal with and whether or not it will play up for that as it will fail if its on.

I really hate cars having all these sensors on them, in my limited experience its usually the sensors that go wrong and not the part or system its attached to !!!

Kind regards

Angela

Hello Angela,

In my mind, if you are 'in a panic' you have to deal with one issue at a time.

You don't tell us when the car is booked in for an MOT, but yes, you can literally take a chance that the warning like will not come on during the test - but a chance it is. If the light does come on and it fails, you will then have two problems to deal with under pressure, rather than one, as now. 

If it were mine then I would follow my original advice, since you say you panic when the light comes on anyway. 

'Hate cars having all these sensors' :- well they are there to warn drivers of issues, and hopefully allow corrective work to be carried out - generally without pressure. Yes, some may favour not having warning sensors, and just depend on blind faith between services.

Hope you can sort it out without too much inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Gareth.