Headlight washers.

Jim70
聽Share

Happy New year all聽馃槈

Hi guys, hope you all had a good Christmas/New year.....

I've recently noticed when the outside temperature is pretty cold that the headlight washer jets stay popped out of the bumper, they do go back in once the temp. rises again.

Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this and if there's anything I need to do about it?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for your reply, I didn't think about that聽馃檮

I have been using screen wash but now that you say that, I think I've probably not been using enough in it.

Cheers聽

I have just noticed the same issue over the past couple of days. One question I do have is if it is freezing fluid then why do they pop in readily when prodded?

I accept that with wind chill included the temp may drop way below the stated protection figure stated on the SW Bottle but has it really been that cold?聽

I am looking into it at the moment. Last night was mild in the SW so I did not expect mine to be out this morning when I stopped for fuel聽but it was. I suspect聽 there is a grime build up on the slides the jets actuate along.

I can only assume that they pop out when the water freezes inside them as it expands and then go back in when the ice melts.

I didn't attempt to push mine back in, just left them to go in on their own when the temp. came back up and I've not had any issues since putting in a stronger mix of screenwash.

40 minutes ago, Jim70 said:

I can only assume that they pop out when the water freezes inside them as it expands and then go back in when the ice melts.

I didn't attempt to push mine back in, just left them to go in on their own when the temp. came back up and I've not had any issues since putting in a stronger mix of screenwash.

You've done right. Pushing them in could damage them. It's all because the water freezes in abd around the washers.

Cheers

Steve

13 hours ago, Steve Q said:

You've done right. Pushing them in could damage them. It's all because the water freezes in abd around the washers.

Cheers

Steve

Note I did not push the washer back in - as soon as i prodded it - it popped back in.

So fault is persistent even during milder weather. Drove back from Reading Sunday evening - outside temperature was around 10 deg C, pulled up at home and there it was sticking out again.聽

Have booked the car into Audi Bristol on Monday for investigation. When they told me the soonest they could see my car was Feb 15th I did raise an eyebrow. Did mention Car was last serviced by them and this is a warranty fault and the wait time reduced from 1 month to 1 week.聽

Will let you know the outcome.

11 hours ago, Envy said:

So fault is persistent even during milder weather. Drove back from Reading Sunday evening - outside temperature was around 10 deg C, pulled up at home and there it was sticking out again.聽

Have booked the car into Audi Bristol on Monday for investigation. When they told me the soonest they could see my car was Feb 15th I did raise an eyebrow. Did mention Car was last serviced by them and this is a warranty fault and the wait time reduced from 1 month to 1 week.聽

Will let you know the outcome.

Have you tried a stronger solution of screen wash? Since niedzial mentioned that I put in some stronger mix and it's never happened since 馃檪.

That's good you have it booked in, eventually. It's amazing what they can do when it suits them 馃槈 Yeah, let us know how you get on with it.聽

So Audi Bristol had the car yesterday. Turns out it was grime in the mechanism. It's a fairly complex聽聽assembly just to spray fluid on headlamps and this is possibly its downfall.聽

In my defense and answering the question - I always use concentrated screen wash with "claimed" protection down to -15 Deg C. This is not only for antifreeze properties but also for an effective non streaking clean.

While it was in Audi they also gave it the inspection treatment. Front tyres down to 3.6mm, Front brakes 70% worn and all three wiper blades needing replacing. I am beginning to think they think I am a lottery winner. 拢98 for wiper replacement. Near 拢600 for front brake renewal and around 拢450 for 2 new front tyres that do not need changing. I suppose grand surroundings require grand invoices.聽

At least the car got a wash. Every cloud and all that

Hello Tom,

I won't bother to comment on the health check recommendations!聽

Washers? - general, i.e. Including windscreen:- I too buy the neat fluid and tend to mix it 2:1 water to fluid, which is more than adequate to cover most of our bad weather requirements without freezing in the system. The problem I find is that the mixed fluid deteriorates fairly quickly and tend to form a 'goo' in the bottom of the reservoir聽which is really an algae , and this can partly clogg up the jets.聽

My belief as that the neat solution had additives聽which prevented this, but not so. It you mix this solution in a container and leave that container for a couple of weeks, you will find it smells like stagnant water. Of course, modern cars have their reservoirs fitted down in the wheel arch, making it impossible to see the condition of the fluid. Such is my concern, that I now resort to filling聽the reservoir to no more than half full, so fresh top ups are more frequent.

Any effect on your issue?聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

13 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tom,

I won't bother to comment on the health check recommendations!聽

Washers? - general, i.e. Including windscreen:- I too buy the neat fluid and tend to mix it 2:1 water to fluid, which is more than adequate to cover most of our bad weather requirements without freezing in the system. The problem I find is that the mixed fluid deteriorates fairly quickly and tend to form a 'goo' in the bottom of the reservoir聽which is really an algae , and this can partly clog up the jets.聽

My belief as that the neat solution had additives聽which prevented this, but not so. It you mix this solution in a container and leave that container for a couple of weeks, you will find it smells like stagnant water. Of course, modern cars have their reservoirs fitted down in the wheel arch, making it impossible to see the condition of the fluid. Such is my concern, that I now resort to filling聽the reservoir to no more than half full, so fresh top ups are more frequent.

Any effect on your issue?聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,聽

I have seen the gelling effect you have experienced but not for a few years now the last time being in my 740 Volvo that seldomly got used. I have always ran the washers to empty recently and have not used tap water to dilute concentrate buying premixed. 5 litres of screenwash does not last long when the headlights also get a periodic shower too. I have experienced the "algae" buildup in diesel tanks in Africa too and the only option with them is to empty and steam clean them before replenishing, traces of the contaminant will only spawn more gloop. If I had the issue with screen washers now I would use a mild milton solution and flush the system through.聽

IMG_7609.JPG