Steering wheel vibration

Cockney777

Hello everyone, 

I have just purchased a 64 plate RSQ3 through Audi and have a problem, when I reach 80mph, I get vibration through the steering wheel. I have the wheels balanced and it is still there. I would appreciate any help or ideas. Steve.

Hello Steve,

Can you also feel any vibration through the seat by any chance? 

Were the tyres (and wheels) thoroughly inspected before balancing? 

Are the tyres matched on the same axle, and hopefully the same on both axles? 

Aopologies for the questions.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, 

Thanks for the swift reply, tyres and wheels all good, no vibration through the seat, just the steering wheel at high speed only. I have read it could cv joints,  suspension bushes etc, I am hoping that someone else within the club has had the same problem. 

Regards Steve 

Hello Steve,

Since you cannot feel any vibration through the seat - only through the steering wheel - it would suggest some out of balance with the fronts. This vibration coming in at 80 mph is not typical of wheel balance - normally too high a speed ( you don't admit to breaking the law do you!?) However, if were mine, I would be doing two things before suspecting anything else:- 

Try another tyre retailer and ask them to balance the wheels - fronts in particular. And yes, get them to thoroughly ( in caps)  examine wheels and tyres. I would not assume all good until proved to be so. 

Try swopping front wheels to back and back to fronts.

You didn't mention any mixes of tyre makes on the car. 

Assumng that this 4/5 year old car is of average mileage and condition, then it would not be expected that things like drive shafts and bushes would be significantly worn - assuming damage has not occurred at some time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 months later...

I've got a similar problem on 65 plate RSQ3. Problem started after new tyres fitted all round (Pirelli P Zero) and tracked. Had wheels balanced a second time by tyre supplier plus balanced by dealer but problem remained. Have also rotated back to front but no change. Dealer concluded buckled rims and quoted £1000/rim! Seems strange that new tyres plus tracking should suddenly cause vibration. Had wondered if front dampers were worn and causing vibration. Also, considering getting rimsgoing checked/straightened. Also trying to find a tyre fitter with more accurate/high speed balancing rig.