Audi A3 ABS recall

Roy Mills

Hi,

New to forum hoping someone could offer some advice, i have a Audi A3 which was recalled in September 2017 due to ABS Unit failures.  The previous owner took the vehicle in to audi and they performed a 45f5 ESC Control unit software update. The update was to give diagnostics on this particular fault ( insufficient PCU ground Connection ) i'm assuming there was not a issue with the grounding as the ABS Unit was not replaced at the time. Recently the the ABS warning light appeared on dash had a diagnostic done at Audi they diagnosed ( fault stored to replace ABS Control Unit - J104 ) they state they could not replace unit due to being over 6 months since the recall was carried out. The unit has now failed with the issue it was first recalled for so if this had happened when they did the recall, the unit would have been replaced free of charge and now they want to charge me the full amount to replace it. I feel this is wrong as it is all down to the issue it was first recalled for i cannot see they can put a time frame on the ABS Unit which could fail at at any time unless previously replaced.  I will be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on this one.

thank you

I would have thought that you would have had a year warranty on the recall parts. The fact the unit has failed for the recall defect sounds very dodgy and could suggest the recall is in affective. 

Definitely fight them on it. You should get age related discount as the car is from.2008. might be worth you speaking to Audi customer services and make a complaint.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick response, i did speak to Audi customer services they weren't much help they rang Shrewsbury Audi ( where i had the diagnostic done ) and agreed with them and stated it was Shrewsbury Audi's responsibility. I find it hard to believe they can put a time limit on a recall when they know the grounding issue that causes the ABS Unit to fail could still happen any time after the software update which i can only come to the conclusion has happened to mine !

Cheers Roy

• 3 months later...

I have had a similar experience with the ABS system recall in that it was addressed when the recall was open back in 2017 but from the day I bought the car the ABS light was on and I couldn’t ask the previous owner how long it had been flashing as it was from an auction. A diagnostic check was performed at Audi Chingford and they said the hydraulic pump had failed and as routine the ECU would also have to be replaced. They were careful not to state if it was functioning or not when challenged. The unit was removed by another mechanic and sent to a reputable company that builds these and offer a lifetime warranty, AC TRONICS and they fixed the pump but the diagnostic scan showed the same code for a fault within the ECU. This was the same code that was applied for the F45D recall. AC Tronic stated that it was only AUDI who could fix the software problem and that they should be instructed to reopen the campaign for this fault.

Audi Chingford tried to charge for what effectively is a recall fault and not surprisingly aren’t even responding to AUDI Customer Services who suggested that I may want a second opinion from another dealership but I would have to pay for a diagnostic check. 

I was told that they would check to see if the code related to the recall but there reluctance to accept what is already evident makes me think they’ve washed their hands of this recall and happy to let AUDI drivers pay for their mistakes. I would think twice of ever buying an Audi again if this is their way of addressing their faults. 

I’ll let you know if I get any news tomorrow regarding the recall. 

Hi Theo, what a coincidence i to have just gone down the same route the mechanic i use removed my unit 2 weeks ago and sent it to be repaired they did a diagnostic found the fault and repaired it.

He fitted the unit on Monday but was gob smacked when the same fault code was present when he took the car for a test drive he went over it to check he had refitted it correctly which confirmed he had, he is bewildered why the same fault code is still present even though the unit has been repaired he is contacting the company who did the repair, at a loss what to do next

Regards Roy  

Sorry to hear that Roy. 

After almost 3 weeks, AUDI have said that it’s up to the specific dealership who diagnosed the fault as to whether they will make good the fault which falls under the recall on the basis that the recall is now closed and 6 months has elapsed from the initial correction. I pointed out that this meant the recall wasn’t successful and that my experience wasn’t a solitary one. They refused to take responsibility. Audi Chingford performed the worst diagnostic scan and duplicated items of repair in their estimated costs. Two independent garages commented that there was clear exploitation of their customers lack of knowledge when charging £1000’s to investigate a problem where the possibilities of the root cause means the level of exploration doesn’t justify such cost. 

I am now referring the matter the consumer action group as well as to the small claims court to expose this cowboy outfit. I am really disappointed that AUDI UK are impotent in bringing this dealership to account and addressing my complaint more efficiently. 

UPDATE: After recent legal counsel, it has been made clear that AUDI are not acting in accordance with the General Safety Regulations Act 2000. After the F45 ABS recall Audi admitted liability and in a timely and appropriate manner took action to correct the software issue which stated that this correction was necessary for their customers safety. Regardless of the time elapsed since, if this fault is present which is a design fault and (evidently has recurred not only in the one car that I own but has been reported in the cars of other owners) AUDI must take action to repair it. Once informed, should they fail to take action then the appropriate authorities must be informed who will then enforce action to be taken in the public interest of safety and publicise a warning. AUDI seem to have become complacent in protecting their customers safety and a blatant disregard of maintaining good customer services at least at the Chingford Audi dealership.

Hi Theo looks like you've got a result after all your perseverance so this could potentially open the door for other Audi owners who's cars have also suffered

the same issues and been fobbed of by Audi. Fortunately i have my car back today ABS Module now sorted and no Fault codes but unfortunately this has

cost me five weeks without a car and a substantial financial loss to myself and not Audi who's software update did not solve the fault so the recall was 

unsuccessful, as you say they " have become complacent in protecting their customers safety and a blatant disregard of maintaining good customer services ".

Unfortunately this development may have come a little late for me !. or is there any options available for those who have had the fault fixed after being let down

by Audi ?  

Hey Roy, I have an action plan but despite sending the letter to Audi I haven’t yet had a response so in a couple more days I’ll report them to the authorities and see what action they’ll take. 

Audi just don’t care so I need as many people who have had or are having the same issue to let themselves be known to me to make sure that the enforcement of the General Safety Act is done with some urgency as it’s not just money at stake here but safety and hence, lives. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated 

• 3 years later...

Hello-

I own 2009 A3 (purchased 4 months ago 2022) I found out my vin# was recalled and software updated 2018 for Abs control module. VW hdqts said it wasnt on recall, but luckily audi representative said it was and repaired or I would have never known. Anyways a week ago abs /Esp/flashing brake lights all came on. I ran diagnostic on it, came back abs control module fault 16352-014 static. I ran different vag obd2 it came back as control module 00003. 
 I have appointment at Denver Audi for diagnostic electrical regarding the recall of Abs system, $190. Im expecting as you have guessed.. a new problem not at all related with the actual issue of crap Abs CM. I am willing and able if you all are still fighting the good fight!

kirk w.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, Kirk wise said:

Hello-

I own 2009 A3 (purchased 4 months ago 2022) I found out my vin# was recalled and software updated 2018 for Abs control module. VW hdqts said it wasnt on recall, but luckily audi representative said it was and repaired or I would have never known. Anyways a week ago abs /Esp/flashing brake lights all came on. I ran diagnostic on it, came back abs control module fault 16352-014 static. I ran different vag obd2 it came back as control module 00003. 
 I have appointment at Denver Audi for diagnostic electrical regarding the recall of Abs system, $190. Im expecting as you have guessed.. a new problem not at all related with the actual issue of crap Abs CM. I am willing and able if you all are still fighting the good fight!

kirk w.

Keep us posted on how you get on. Theyll claim coincidence but it'll definitely be linked. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey just an up date on the abs module recall. I had my codes read before hand and had the required codes of abs module fault 16532 and line four a 96 value, I printed them off and left on front seat. 4 days later Audi dealership said the module was fully covered by warranty (recall)  and ordered new module!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kirk wise said:

Hey just an up date on the abs module recall. I had my codes read before hand and had the required codes of abs module fault 16532 and line four a 96 value, I printed them off and left on front seat. 4 days later Audi dealership said the module was fully covered by warranty (recall)  and ordered new module!! 

Glad you got sorted 🙂

Thanks Kirk, but just noticed the location - Denver- USA? If so, I don’t think we can automatically assume the recall applies in the U.K. 

Morally should, but….

Kind regards,

Gareth.