New to Audi - cam belt question

PAL62V

Hi - new to Audis and I'm collecting a 2015 1.6 TDi 108 BHP Cabriolet in a week or so. It has 42,000 miles on the clock. Can someone please tell me what the recommended interval is for changing the belt?

Also, I am searching but can't find what the servicing interval is for this engine.

Thanks.

Hello Simon,

I take this you are buying the car from an Audi dealer, since it is within the age/mileage band where it would normally be kept for retail. 

It should not yet be due for a cambelt change (if a belt -as opposed to a chain- was fitted to this model year). If I was in your situation, I would be ringing up another Audi dealer, giving them the registration number and asking if it is indeed fitted with a belt (Parts rather than Service would be my first point of contact) and if so when it would be due for change. I would be surprised if the interval was less than 80k or 5 years, whatever comes first. 

What would be of more importance to me at the moment would be if this car has been presented for the emissions recall, and if so, what its subsequent issues have been - if any. It might be worth reading up on the forum here of the bad experiences of many owners, following their cars being subjected to recalls. The last registered keeper would have full knowledge - always worth a check there. 

Good luck with it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth and Piotr. Took your advice and rang a different dealer. Apparently it is a belt, not a chain and they are saying min 5 years. Not surprised on that one.

The better news is that there are no outstanding recall notices for this car and it was never subject to the emissions recall. I thought it affected all VAG diesels but apparently not so that's something I don't need to deal with.

Hello Simon, 

I'm surprised that this car isn't/wasn't subject of an emissions recall.

Personally, I would want some sort of 'second opinion' on this, and it might be worthwhile double checking with Audi UK, and posting on here as a new post - asking that specific question In relation to the 1.6d and the model year. 

Previous keeper?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Just went to the Audi UK website and checked with their online tool. Definitely not affected - see screenshot attached.

Not sure of previous owner other than it's a one owner, FSH, etc. I think it may be an ex-contract hire vehicle as I am doing a similar deal as a PCP which I'll hand back after the contract period.

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 13.35.04.png

• Like 1