tips for snow

fu94

I bought my first audi recently and here in Ireland we have been hit by a snowbomb, has anyone any tips for driving in the snow? ive started using the comfort drive mode when driving in any snow. but that's the only thing I could think of in making it safer to drive in the snow. if anyone has any tips or tricks theyd be much appreciated, as I don't really want to damage my car in anyway.

1st tip would be to qualify every journey - do you really need to go out?

If you do have to venture out then do you have a shovel, blanket, tow rope, flask etc. You may be able to drive in snow but many cannot resulting in roads getting blocked and drivers stranded. 

WRT the actual driving of the car - keep speed low, steering and braking smooth and remember 4x4 will get you going better than 2WD but we are all 4 wheel braking when the need arises. ABS is great but when there is minimal traction then you will end up with a buzzy glide into the hedgerow. 

the snow has gone now hopefully it wont return until next year but I doubt that. unfortunately my A6 doesn't have 4x4 it is front wheel drive however.i have created my own driving mode with everything in comfort mode except the suspension which I put in to dynamic this has helped me keep the power down when driving in icy parts or anywhere it has snowed really. thank you for your help.