Non-electronic door unlocking

cliffcoggin

Last week the battery died in my key fob so the doors would not unlock. While awaiting a new battery I expected the key to work mechanically by pushing it into the key slot, but that did not work. (Fortunately I had a spare key fob with working battery.) Was my expectation wrong?

Sorry I can't help more. I know you will have tried spraying wd40 etc. When you put the key in, does it turn or does it feel jammed and if you turn it, you feel like it will damage the key. If that makes sense? 

Cheers

Steve

It can be slipped in easily, and during turning the smooth resistance of a spring tells me something is moving. This is the door lock that Audi renewed a year & a half ago so I guess the switch is not connected or a wire has broken again. I'll look at it in the summer when the weather is better. I really only wanted know if the key ought to operate the lock before attempting a repair.

Yea the key should definitely open the door. If Audi have carried out work then you might get a discount on the repair as you should have had 12 months warranty on the work/parts I believe.

Cheers

Steve

Now that is annoying! I have to say this issue has really stumped me. I think the only thing you can do is take the door card off and inspect the mechanism whilst someone turns the key. I do wonder whether some rod is jammed. That's if Audi still use rods for manual key opening. Rod is probably the wrong word or I'm completely incorrect. But it's the best guess I have. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Cliff,

I'm with Steve on this. The central locking is generally controlled by the mechanisms in the driver's door, and it sounds like the key is not actually moving what it should - so it would be door card off to see what is and isn't going on. A job for the finer weather. I have a similar issue with the non-Audi except that one generally doesn't remotely lock or unlock, but does lock and unlock with the key. That is on hold until the weather gets warmer! 

Remotes and batteries:- I used to go along with these and change the battery when you had to get noticeably closer to the car for it to work! I now try to make a habit of changing them annually and using non £ shop batteries.

Kind regards,

Gareth.