Oil level sensor

Derekco

Hi has anyone come across this problem wife took car out on a school run she broke down about 4 miles away oil level light on the car was facing downhill I got there car would not start .checked oil level just above low mark I topped it up car started no issues.So the question is this is it a safety feature that when the oil gets very low the system shuts down to save the engine .Any thoughts would be appreciated. Car runs perfectly 

Hi Steve I was not driving the car my wife was ,she said the car cut out at road junction low oil light came on  she managed to get the car off the road it I turned up car was turning over but not firing ,I checked and topped oil up car started and it's been fine since strange indeed.Thanks for the reply Derek

Hello Derek,

The fact that the car actually cut out (due to a low oil level?) is the strange part of this to me - particularly on an 11 year old car. Things have moved on, and I am aware that say low Adblue levels on current diesels, can render the vehicle 'unstartable' once it is switched off, unless the Adblue is topped up. However, it will not cut out while running. 

If you think about it, actually cutting the engine power due to a low oil level ( particularly if the warning has just been shown) is potentially dangerous - you can think of all sorts of driving situation senarios where this could be a catastrophic thing to build in to a car's technology.

However, the  non-restart  until the oil is topped up, could be a sensible thing to build in - as with the Adblue logic. 

If it were mine:-

I would be keeping a close eye on the oil level (dip stick on this - or possible to fit one or not?). I would not depend solely on a bit of electronics to warn me that the oil level had reached the minimum. I would then be assessing how much oil is being used and be getting into the habit of topping it up as necessary according to the mileage it is covering. 

It would be useful/most important even, to readdress this with your wife and ascertain that the car's engine actually cut out, rather than going into say limp mode, or her pulling over and failing to restart it.

If it did cut out - as a matter of urgency, I would be checking with a reliable source of Audi knowledge ( visiting your local or not so local dealer and attempting to actually speak with one if the technicians rather than the service receptionists - or trying to do this over the phone) 

I don't think you can automatically assume the cutting out and failing to restart are connected - an assumption it is until proved to be correct. There could (just could) be something else causing it to have cut out. 

It would be interesting to know how you get in Derek.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Just came back from local garage (Aston Martin workshop) I know the manager he put it on his machine no fault codes found strange .I started the car up for her she was running late ,I think she stalled and panicked, car was in the middle of a junction turning right .I tried to start it no joy it was just turning only warning sign was oil level low top up .Topped it up mind you car was facing down hill a fair bit once oil level was on the mark it started ,Peter the manager at the workshop stated he has come across a couple of Audi that have the sensor to stop car starting if really low on oil , so it's drive with care and watch oil level other than that it a beautiful car 

Hello Derek,

Thanks for the additional information. 

So it would now seem that the car did not cut out due to a low oil level. 

Question remains:- Does the low oil level prevent it being restarted until the oil level is returned to above the minimum.? 

Personally, I have my doubts on a car of this age, although this is only a guess, and I could be way off the mark. 

It would be interesting to now have a qualified Audi answer to this.

Could it be that the attempts to start the car - following stalling it- resulted in the use of some throttle etc. and the car became reluctant to start. Adding the oil might have been a coincidence. Just a thought. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I agree totally will keep a watchful eye on the oil level still not got the starting issue sorted problem is now NO FAULT CODES are flagged up I have spent many hours checking harness I think it's either broken wire from ecu or temp switch being faulty but no codes strange 

• 9 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Derekco said:

Car still not starting properly the oil thing was a separate issue.I got an Audi technician on the case now.will let you know the results

Hi did you ever find out what the problem was? when the low oil can sign comes up was it amber or red? the issue maybe due to fuel starvation. The engine cranks but because of no fuel combustion the top head of the engine thinks there is no oil.

I am having the same issue now to the point where the car cranks but wont run.

Audi A4 B8 Avant 2009 2.0 Tdi S line

Hello Shahan,

Sorry, it’s probably me, but I’m not quite following this. 

Are you suggesting that the low oil pressure light is connected to the fuel pump/s feed and if it is illuminated, then the fuel will not be pumped? Would seem a good safeguard, but do you know this is the case? 

Ref. Low oil pressure light because being illuminated because oil is not getting to the top of the engine - cannot really see this, since if the oil pump and lubrication system is serviceable, then simply cranking the engine over ( even if it will not start) will result in the pump creating enough pressure to extinguish the light.

Kind regards,

Gareth.