Tt 225 but 180 on log book

James davis

Would appreciate some advice from some knowledgable people pls 

recently purchased a gorgeous mint tt 225 convertible only to receive the log book with 180 stated 

the car has the following 

6 speed box 

twin pipes 

and also the 225 turbo intake pipe configuration as I had it replaced ...

have I bought a converted lemon ? Assistance much appreciated 

Have you done a hpi check to confirm that the engine number matches to that on the actual engine? 

Have you also spoken to the seller about it? 

My other advice would be to ring an Audi dealer (or pop in) and see what details they hold on your TT. 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hello James,

I can only reinforce Steve's very sound advice by adding - do this without delay.

If the engine has been changed on this 17 year old car, and you bought it since it was advertised or inferred that it was a 225, then you should have some redress - whether the car was bought from a dealer or privately - yes, even private sellers have to describe vehicles correctly - that is why you now often see a description which just says 'Starts, drives, stops!' (No come backs). 

My first on-line port of call would be to investigate via. an on-line VIN checker, and see what that comes up on a build record. 

My second action would be to inform the seller of your concern and the investigation you propose to carry out.

I would then drive to (don't phone) my local Audi dealer and first talk with the parts section and explain your concern. Their systems might link into the DVLA based system rather than VAG so check with them which system they are linked to. Whatever system - ask if they could help you to physically check the number on your engine against their record and your V5. 

Having said all that, DVLA records can be wrong, particular now, when new cars are registered on a system, by the dealer on their premises. 

All I would ask of your own dealings is - did you view a V5 for this car before agreeing to buy it? 

Good luck with sorting it out to your satisfaction.

Perhaps you could let us know the outcome.

Kind regards,

Gareth.