Newbie audi A4 ultra TDI

Tolmie

Hi everyone, im a new mbember, picked up my Audi A4 yesterday, unfortunatley a couple of issues.

Cant get it to start with clutch, seems to fob only unelss I'm doing something wrong, message on screen says depress clutch which ive done, other isssue was loosing power while driving, 3 time since yesterday,  i thought intitially it was my fault but now i dont, just looses power when slowing down. Other thing I noticed was that in my opnion that gearbox is sticky, maybe thats the way it is, ive not driven another audo to compare it against. Also feel a bit of vibration through the gear stick but again now sure if this is normal or not, only noticed when parked.

Hello Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with the car you took ownership of yesterday. 

Probably predictive text, but not sure about.... 'seems to fob....'

I'm sorry I cannot help you with the losing power problem, ( could be a mutitude of causes) and I anticipate others may advise you to first get this car plugged in to get a diagnostic investigation done, in the hope of narrowing down the cause. 

Whatever the cause is, obviously it should not behave like this, and my urgent first port of call would be to notify the seller (followed by an e-mail where possible) of the fault and request what they are prepared to do about it - assuming you didn't buy the car under any 'as seen and tested' agreement. 

Personally, I wouldn't get the actual diagnostic check carried out until you get the seller's agreement to do so.

Good luck with getting it sorted,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi there, the seller (Arnold Clark) has arranged for the car to go in tomorrow to be looked at, the fob is the key thing you plug in, seems to be only way to start the car as I couldnt by clutch. Its brilliant when it cuts out on the motorway and your in the outside lane and you struggle to start it, great fun. This is a 15 plate with 25,000 miles on it. Im just wondering if both things are related.

Hello Scott,

If this was mine, I would be seriously considering formally rejecting this car. It would appear to be suffering from a defect which can render it life threatening. Certainly not acceptable, and I would be asking myself if I am prepared to chance it's future reliability. 

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Perhaps naming the seller may have not been the most acceptable thing to do, but...... 

Surely this is fixable and they will do whatever is required. Ive reported it from day 1 which is today and this was sent by email. Its in tomorrow, sounds like a gubbed clutch to me but im no mechanic.

Everything is fixable Scott, but just sit back and think:-  you have a discontent with the gearbox/gear change as well as the potentially life threatening power loss (or actual cutting out in the outside lane as I think you later describe it). How much hassle to you want to involve yourself in? 

Of course, the above may be a totally pessimistic view, and you will be delighted with the final outcome, which will be both swift and totally reliable going forward, even out of any guarantee period. 

Not so sure what a 'gubbed' clutch has to do with the whole issue, particularly on a 25K miles car. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi there thanks for the reply, you asked what a gubbed clutch has got anything to do with it, the clutch is how the car should start and it isnt. Tonight I drove it and it hasnt cut out, im just wondering if it has been my fault and maybe I didnt have clutch right down but i do have clutch right down 100% when trying to start the car. Just now to start the car I push the fob in and clutch at same time but i believe it should work without me pushing the fob in, my understanding is that I should put the fob, all the lights come on and the all I should need to do is put the clutch down. 

Another thing i noticed tonight, i left the start top enabled and when i stopped the car as a test it should cut out and wait for me to put my foot on clutch again but what happens is that the stop/start logo comes on the dash with a stroke through it as if its turned off but it not, thats pretty weird. Im guessing this is all linked together. Find out tomorrow I guess.

Sounds a better situation then Scott.

Sorry, it's probably me, I can understand the connection between clutch and starting, but remain confused about ....' My fault and maybe I didn't have the clutch right down......' and cutting out in the outside lane of the motorway! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.