Keyless Theft Security

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, I've had a look for this topic on the boards but cant find it, apologies if its been done before.  Between my Mrs and I we have a 2018 Q7 S-line and a 2018 A5 convertible S-line. I got the Q7 new in April 2018 and the A5 in September when it was around 7 months old. Both are protected with Stoplock Pro-Elite's... but I made sure when I got both cars I chose models without the 'Advanced key' despite the dealer saying "they are fine". Neverhteless, I keep all the keys in a metal tin anyway.

I'm assuming as this is older technology and both cars require us to physically press the button on the key fobs to open the doors, they are not vulnerable from 'relay theft' which is big in the News at the moment on cars with 'key;less entry'. I've had a good search on the internet (keyless start vs keyless entry etc) but can't find anything that determines the difference between them.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I took on board what an AA man advised, keep your keys in a steel box or deep bowl at the back of the house. But then, if the thieves are that bent on having it, they will take it!

These sub-human people work/live to a different set of values and there is no real punishment that will put them off!

• Like 1

True.... I agree you will never be able to prevent a determined professional thief, the type who are likely to 'raid' a house if they want something that bad. However, crime statistics seem to bear out the majority of these people don't want to be involved in any aggravated theft or take the risk themselves of coming up against 'Harry the b'stard' and his two Belgian Malinois the other side fo the door.

Its similar to the credit cards contactless. New trend is that if you have it in your pocket someone can come very close to you with a reader and get 30£ ... they even make phone cases and walets that prevent this from happening by using materials to block the signal . I bet soon there will be key car covers...

But looking back there was steering locks , gearshifter blokades, etc etc... and they all got a way to brake and steal the car.

Common sense seem to be the only way at the moment to not leave stuff in the car, keep keys safe,...

• 1 month later...

We got an RFID pouch to put keys in when in house (EBay). Walked up to car with keys in pouch and nothing, so they do work, best tenner you can spend for piece of mind.

Agreed, I use a metal box for both sets of keys, then another metal box hidden away for the spares. I'm still not convinved that they can take a car that doesnt have an advanced key/keyless entry as it still needs a physical push of a button to unlock it. So can a relay device duplicate that? That said, I assume if they managed to break into the car by other means they could then duplicate the signal via a device to start it?